Speedometer and Fuel gauge don't work

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muddinking

Hey guys, I got my twin engine 1998 Sportster 1800 out on the water for the first time ever this past Saturday. Both the speedometer and fuel gauge do not function at all. One of the rpm gauges only works randomly as well. I checked all the fuses and they are good. What should I try next?

Do other gauges work? If so, I suspect you are dealing with 2 different issues. Search for fuel gauge broekn or something like that. Several members have done the repair with pics.

Do other gauges work? If so, I suspect you are dealing with 2 different issues. Search for fuel gauge broekn or something like that. Several members have done the repair with pics.

Yea, the RPM gauge on the left works just fine. The one on the right will kick on once I'm going for a minute. Just the speedo and the fuel gauge don't seem to work whatsoever. Didn't know if they could be tied together somehow.

Link...?

No, your rpm indicator is likely a wire that has been rubbed raw, shorting or it might easily be a loose conncetion. Start at your suspect gage and check all connections going backward. Everywhere you have a plug connection, take a bit of die-electric grease and put in, then snap it back together.

Your fuel gage... Go to the fuel tank where your baffle is. You'll see a 2 or 3 wire plug connection just short from the baffle. Disconnect that plug and make a short jumper wire (about 3" will do). Strip the wire on both ends, put it into the plug that is leading back to the fuel gage. Put your lanyard on and see if the gage goes to full. IF so, the problem is the F1 fuse in your baffle. There are threads with pix on how to repair this problem.....:cheers:

No, your rpm indicator is likely a wire that has been rubbed raw, shorting or it might easily be a loose conncetion. Start at your suspect gage and check all connections going backward. Everywhere you have a plug connection, take a bit of die-electric grease and put in, then snap it back together.

Your fuel gage... Go to the fuel tank where your baffle is. You'll see a 2 or 3 wire plug connection just short from the baffle. Disconnect that plug and make a short jumper wire (about 3" will do). Strip the wire on both ends, put it into the plug that is leading back to the fuel gage. Put your lanyard on and see if the gage goes to full. IF so, the problem is the F1 fuse in your baffle. There are threads with pix on how to repair this problem.....:cheers:

Awesome, thank you very much for your help. I'll try and mess with it this week and reply with my findings. This site is great! :cheers:

I have the same problem....kind of...

Hey guys,
Not to jack this thread, but i have an 05 challenger, and the speedo and tach are not working at all. From what I am reading, it is a common issue with alot of sea doos. It seems the gauges work fine, but there is a problem somewhere. I will check my wires and would like any ideas if someone can help! Thanks. Rick

Fixed my gas gauge and rpm today!!

It was indeed the fuse on the gas baffle inside of the tank. Followed the write up in the How-to section and it was cake! :) The RPM gauge was just a loose wire right behind the gauge too.

However, I still can't figure out the speedo. It's nothing behind the gauge. Still trying to figure out what to try next. Any suggestions?

I have the same boat and my speedo stopped working the other day while out at the lake. I found some info posted on how they work and read about the spinner wheel at rear bottom hull left of center. Mine was stuck and a small pebble was lodged in there and fell out when I spun it. Hope yours is as easy of a fix.

I have the same boat and my speedo stopped working the other day while out at the lake. I found some info posted on how they work and read about the spinner wheel at rear bottom hull left of center. Mine was stuck and a small pebble was lodged in there and fell out when I spun it. Hope yours is as easy of a fix.

My wheel spins freely. I've tried to look for the wires coming from it but I don't see anything too obvious. Not sure what to try next. :confused:

My wheel spins freely. I've tried to look for the wires coming from it but I don't see anything too obvious. Not sure what to try next. :confused:

Yea my speedo doesnt work either and the wheel spins freely as well, not sure what to check??? 94 GTX

Same problem with my challenger.

Spedo not working at all.

Wheel on the back seems ok in gives signal (tested)

Fuel meter not working too.

Pulled it out and put it upside down like it is full .

Fuel meter was not responding but when i let the magnet down it gave a warnig signal like its on reserve.

I did put some 12 v on it and it went form empty to Full so i don't think the fuel meter is broken.

Could' it be the fuse inside the fuel baffles.

i don't know if im spelling it correctly

we tested it with an ossiloscope

But the spedo meter is not a problem an can put an new one in not electric

The fuel meter is more important

Last edited by a moderator:
you can test speedo sensor with ac meeter. hook up leads to connector set meter to ac voltage and spin wheel if working will produce ac voltage amount not important but should see something . sensor is just a ac voltage generator .

Fixed my gas gauge and rpm today!!

It was indeed the fuse on the gas baffle inside of the tank. Followed the write up in the How-to section and it was cake! :) The RPM gauge was just a loose wire right behind the gauge too.

However, I still can't figure out the speedo. It's nothing behind the gauge. Still trying to figure out what to try next. Any suggestions?
Muddinking,
is there anyway you can post pics of how you fixed tha gas gauge for me? it would be help me a lot. Thanks , Rick

My fuel gauge works fine but the reading being relayed is wrong. After topping of a full tank, the gauge indicates 3/4 full. When i have a 1/4 tank left, it indicates in the red.

I haven't drained the tank to the point where I need to switch to reserve. So, i don't know how low the needle will drop on an empty main tank.

Any suggestions?

Maybe your float is partially filled with fuel and is not floating high enough! Take it out and shake it to see if any fuel comes out. You can drill a small hole to drain it, then melt it shut with a soldering iron! I melted the entire seam lightly to ensure there were no unseen cracks in the mold.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=34550

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back