Spark plugs look different on each cylinder?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwright529

The plug on the left is from the front cylinder and the one on the right is from the rear cylinder. Why does the one on the right look the way it does. Ski seems to run really well. Just don’t want to do any damage…sorry for being a moron and anal but, this is my 1st SeaDoo.

1999 GTX Limited

Attachments

• 282F3730-F29F-4938-9AF7-F11A2A1B82D5.jpeg
    282F3730-F29F-4938-9AF7-F11A2A1B82D5.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 594B01CB-C071-4E17-870C-DCA24FC1D97A.jpeg
    594B01CB-C071-4E17-870C-DCA24FC1D97A.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 867F7285-A2A3-4F13-BAF8-746FBFB575DC.jpeg
    867F7285-A2A3-4F13-BAF8-746FBFB575DC.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 0B9F12FD-A276-4C9B-BD66-8E8B2C8C0761.jpeg
    0B9F12FD-A276-4C9B-BD66-8E8B2C8C0761.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 35
Those plugs are too dark…check compression,,,they should both look like like a dark ale.,,,check flame arrester,,,pressure test the carbs…check needle and seat for leaks,

Last edited:
The plug on the left is from the front cylinder and the one on the right is from the rear cylinder. Why does the one on the right look the way it does. Ski seems to run really well. Just don’t want to do any damage…sorry for being a moron and anal but, this is my 1st SeaDoo.

1999 GTX Limited
I don’t know why, but I’ve taken apart 3 seadoo engines, 1 587, and 2 657x motors that all failed due to the lack of oil, and in all 3 cases, the PTO side piston & cylinder was the most damaged, yet the Mag side cyl and piston
were actually reusable. In fact, I put the one good 657x piston, pin, rings and cylinder from the mag side of one engine on the pto side of the other 657x, and this engine went into a 2000 GTi I bought cheap without and engine, and it works great with 135psi on both cylinders.
why both pistons didn’t melt down I am not knowing, but it may have something to do with your plugs looking different. And btw, those plugs look great to me, a little black indicates a rich mixture. Could be the air/fuel mixture, but probably the oil/gas ratio, which is better too much than not enough. now if the plugs looked wet (oil) and black, cut back on the oil, the inside of your exhaust system is going to be the same way, and the water exiting through the exhaust is going to be filthy.
I calibrate the injection pumps at about 1/2 of the thickness of the line towards the rich side, And tighten that lock but good, and check the plugs since they tell it like it actually is. You may want to Keep a spare set of plugs with you, too!

Appreciate all of the input...The saga continues. I was getting 62MPH (on digital speedometer)...that slowly became 58, 55, 50MPH. I pulled back into the dock, idle was low, loss of power and a knocking in the motor. Checked compression - 125 in the front cylinder and 101 in the rear. This engine was just rebuilt under a no fault warranty because the front cylinder had failed. I also had the motor and carbs installed and everything gone over by a local shop (that is very good). I am at a loss for what to do. Do I send it back for a 3rd time of go somewhere else. Any other ideas? I can not do the work myself anymore.

Appreciate all of the input...The saga continues. I was getting 62MPH (on digital speedometer)...that slowly became 58, 55, 50MPH. I pulled back into the dock, idle was low, loss of power and a knocking in the motor. Checked compression - 125 in the front cylinder and 101 in the rear. This engine was just rebuilt under a no fault warranty because the front cylinder had failed. I also had the motor and carbs installed and everything gone over by a local shop (that is very good). I am at a loss for what to do. Do I send it back for a 3rd time of go somewhere else. Any other ideas? I can not do the work myself anymore.
if your engine was just rebuilt, compression should be 150psi or better. Check the O-ring on your compression gauge, Hand tight should be good, but if in doubt, get a good grip on it, or snug it with a wrench, and Always use anti-seize with aluminum heads.
yes, adding 2-stroke oil to Your fuel will make it rich, and plugs will be wet & black, so will your exhaust manifold and exhaust System be, just like your plugs. And how did you add the oil to your fuel? The correct way is to put 2.6 oz full synthetic per gallon, in your gas can first, then at the pump, add fuel, the exact amoun, shake well and pour in tank. If you just poured the oil directly into your tank, it’s not going to mix well.
With a mirror and a light, check your injection pump calibration. The lines should line up perfectly.
your low idle could be from weak spark, due to fouled plugs from too much oil. I would double check that compression, (both plugs out and wires grounded on the posts bombardier puts on their engines just for this purpose)
and if it IS, as low as you claim, take it back to the shop. one more thing...
when you pull plugs to see how it’s running, ride it, wide open first for 5 min or so, then shut it off and pull the plugs. If you have to idle through the harbor at 5mph for 10 Min to get to the launch ramp, you’ll get black oily plugs every time. Take a spark plug socket, or 13/16” open end wrench with you, and slide the seat back and do it while onboard the ski. You will get different results, but as long as you have pre-mix in your tank, it’s going to run too rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back