Soundproofing 2011 SeaDoo Challenger 180SE

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were your sheets 48" by 54" or bigger?

thx

I had just a small amount left over out of the 2 sheets I purchased. I measured twice and cut once....
The stuff is expensive, but I thought if I was to do the labor, why not use the best. By the way, it is also quite heavy for what you would think "foam" would be.

I picked-up the aluminum A/C Duct tape at Home Depot. I know there are different part numbers manufactured for different uses, but it seems to be holding fine. If I have a problem, I might order some high-heat stuff online.

Glad you find the post helpful...

Marc

I just received some quiet barrier specialty composite foam from a company called TFM (if you google quiet barrier specialty composite, it's one of the top ten hits). It was $109.50 for the foam with PSA in 48" x 54" sheets - a lot cheaper than the other guys.

My challenge now is removing the old egg-crate foam from the underside of the engine cover. I was thinking of using a retractable razor like you use for taking paint off of glass surfaces.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Dam, you got a good deal. Ordered mine last week (3 sheets 48X54) same stuff list was $149 but they sold it for $125. Shipping to Canada killed me.

Please continue to post your progress. I won't start working on mine for 2-3 weeks.

Where did you order it from I am in Canada and also been looking for it.

Dam, you got a good deal. Ordered mine last week (3 sheets 48X54) same stuff list was $149 but they sold it for $125. Shipping to Canada killed me.

Please continue to post your progress. I won't start working on mine for 2-3 weeks.

How Much Reduction?
Would have been cool to have a before and after holeshot launches (at speed the tests is corrupted from wind noise) with a decibel meter. any change of 3 to 6 Db is well worth and a noticed drop; 9+ Db is "friggin" wow!

I just ordered the material and will let you know before and after holeshot launches with decibel meter.

Did you have enough material to do the doors on the battery compartment or the storage compartment on the other side?

Sorry to bug you with questions, but my material arrived today and I'm getting ready to start measuring and cutting.
First question I have is what did you use to cut the sheets? Second, did you remove the engine hatch or did you leave it on to measure and install.
Thanks again for your time.

Chris

Sorry to bug you with questions, but my material arrived today and I'm getting ready to start measuring and cutting.
First question I have is what did you use to cut the sheets? Second, did you remove the engine hatch or did you leave it on to measure and install.
Thanks again for your time.

Chris

I used a metal yard stick and a razor knife. Found that it was easier to cut by putting weight on the yard stick and compressing the material while cutting with the razor.

I did not remove the engine hatch. I removed the egg-crate foam and used it as a template. Once applying the new material, I used metal duct tape to secure the ends. See pic:
P4010035 [640x480].JPG

I did this mod last summer too. To keep things neat and tidy I went down to my local air conditioning / H-VAC store and picked up some aluminium tape they use to tape up the silver heat stuff to air conditioning ducts. This works a treat when making several sheets all look like just the one.

Looking to reduce engine noise, I began by finding the best material I could work with.

I purchased QUIET BARRIER® Specialty Composite from American Micro Industries, Inc. <www.americanmicroinc.com> where I bought 2 sheets. (I might add more in the future), but this has really reduced engine noise.

The largest amount of noise was being amplified by the two storage buckets on either side of the engine, so that is where I started. In addition, all along the base of the rear seats and of course, the hatch (where I not only replaced the foam that came with the boat, but added another sheet glued directly to the removable engine cover). I ordered the sheets with PSA.

By removing the buckets, you can wrap, then seal the seams with aluminum duct tape. Remember to leave the holes for drainage. Also be careful when you fit the port side bucket back in as the gas fill lines are close. I trimmed some of the insulation down to make a better fit.

Enjoy the pics...

Marc
View attachment 12082View attachment 12083View attachment 12084View attachment 12085View attachment 12086

Speak to these champs - used them for advice and product, self fitted and it was awesome.

Soundproofing Solutions / Soundproofing and Acoustic Products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back