Soundproofing 2011 SeaDoo Challenger 180SE

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

limarc

Looking to reduce engine noise, I began by finding the best material I could work with.

I purchased QUIET BARRIER® Specialty Composite from American Micro Industries, Inc. <www.americanmicroinc.com> where I bought 2 sheets. (I might add more in the future), but this has really reduced engine noise.

The largest amount of noise was being amplified by the two storage buckets on either side of the engine, so that is where I started. In addition, all along the base of the rear seats and of course, the hatch (where I not only replaced the foam that came with the boat, but added another sheet glued directly to the removable engine cover). I ordered the sheets with PSA.

By removing the buckets, you can wrap, then seal the seams with aluminum duct tape. Remember to leave the holes for drainage. Also be careful when you fit the port side bucket back in as the gas fill lines are close. I trimmed some of the insulation down to make a better fit.

Enjoy the pics...

Marc
View attachment 12082View attachment 12083View attachment 12084View attachment 12085View attachment 12086

Attachments

• P4010041 [640x480].JPG
    P4010041 [640x480].JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 573
  • P4010035 [640x480].JPG
    P4010035 [640x480].JPG
    44 KB · Views: 602
  • P4010034 [640x480].JPG
    P4010034 [640x480].JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 582
  • P4010033 [640x480].JPG
    P4010033 [640x480].JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 572
  • P4010038 [640x480].JPG
    P4010038 [640x480].JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 569
Similar to what I did a couple of years ago. Sound deadening closed cell foam(fire insulated and heat resistant) around the esky storages, and hatches. Store towels under centre seat(heat helps dry towels), fill rear storage next. This helps more than the foam. The foam helps heaps though.
Cheers

Davo,

Good idea using the center as towel storage. double insulating that area seems to really have helped.

Was the two sheets that you bought enough to do what you did? Like how much did you have left over/was it barely enough to do what you did? The stuff is not cheap but it looks like a great idea to knock that sound down and I would love to do that if possible. This stuff looks like a great find, thank you for sharing it with everyone.

Second question, did you buy the tape on their website? I was thinking that for around $25 a roll it was a little high and that if I did this I would just use regular duct tape. Any thoughts or info. on that idea?

Was the two sheets that you bought enough to do what you did? Like how much did you have left over/was it barely enough to do what you did? The stuff is not cheap but it looks like a great idea to knock that sound down and I would love to do that if possible. This stuff looks like a great find, thank you for sharing it with everyone.

Second question, did you buy the tape on their website? I was thinking that for around $25 a roll it was a little high and that if I did this I would just use regular duct tape. Any thoughts or info. on that idea?

I had just a small amount left over out of the 2 sheets I purchased. I measured twice and cut once....
The stuff is expensive, but I thought if I was to do the labor, why not use the best. By the way, it is also quite heavy for what you would think "foam" would be.

I picked-up the aluminum A/C Duct tape at Home Depot. I know there are different part numbers manufactured for different uses, but it seems to be holding fine. If I have a problem, I might order some high-heat stuff online.

Glad you find the post helpful...

Marc

How Much Reduction?
Would have been cool to have a before and after holeshot launches (at speed the tests is corrupted from wind noise) with a decibel meter. any change of 3 to 6 Db is well worth and a noticed drop; 9+ Db is "friggin" wow!

How Much Reduction?
Would have been cool to have a before and after holeshot launches (at speed the tests is corrupted from wind noise) with a decibel meter. any change of 3 to 6 Db is well worth and a noticed drop; 9+ Db is "friggin" wow!

I'm sorry I didn't have a way to take a db reading - yet, I will tell you the sound reduction is quite noticable.
At 6000-6500 rpm, you really could not have a conversation with guest in the boat and now you can. The high pitch noise from the engine that kicks in at about 5000+ rpm is almost completely gone!

I am thrilled with the resutls!

Do you still hear that noise from the supercharger? I don't want to call it a "wine" but I don't know what else to call it. I guess maybe you could call it a whistle? But I know that it nothing compared to the engine noise alone. Reducing the engine noise would be a huge plus in and of itself and personally I kinda like the sound of the supercharger.... It kinda gives that "yeah my boat is cooler than yours" statement lol
(or maybe that's just the beer :cheers:)

Also, how long would you estimate it took for you to complete the project and is it a one-man job or does it require two people?

Do you still hear that noise from the supercharger? I don't want to call it a "wine" but I don't know what else to call it. I guess maybe you could call it a whistle? But I know that it nothing compared to the engine noise alone. Reducing the engine noise would be a huge plus in and of itself and personally I kinda like the sound of the supercharger.... It kinda gives that "yeah my boat is cooler than yours" statement lol
(or maybe that's just the beer :cheers:)

Also, how long would you estimate it took for you to complete the project and is it a one-man job or does it require two people?

I guess it did reduce the "whisle" sound as well.... Sorry.

It took me about a full day to cut and install the soundproofing and I did it by myself. Add another hour or 2 to do your measuring and create a list of what cuts you need to make.
Have fun!!

Hmmm seems pointless to me.... Hearing the supercharger is an awesome sound. Just like turbos and jet engines.

You buy a sport boat but want to quiet the sport noises out of it. That's like keeping a sock on your night stand so you can stuff it in your wife's mouth everytime you have sex..... Noises make the experience more thrilling! Boats or women!!!

Hmmm seems pointless to me.... Hearing the supercharger is an awesome sound. Just like turbos and jet engines.

You buy a sport boat but want to quiet the sport noises out of it. That's like keeping a sock on your night stand so you can stuff it in your wife's mouth everytime you have sex..... Noises make the experience more thrilling! Boats or women!!!

Whatever floats YOUR boat....

I can see both sides on this one..... maybe i just need to keep a sock in other spots, like in the car, to quiet her down at other times lol

$140 a sheet without adhesive?! ouch. i wonder what the benefit of this stuff over dynamat is? dynamat is more than half the price and comes with adhesive.

$140 a sheet without adhesive?! ouch. i wonder what the benefit of this stuff over dynamat is? dynamat is more than half the price and comes with adhesive.

It is expensive. I only paid $125 a sheet including the PSA adhesive. Purchased from American Micro Industries

Marc

This is definitely something I will be doing to my 2012 180 SP, the center is a bit better insulated from factory than on the Challenger but it's still pretty loud.

Similar to what I did a couple of years ago. Sound deadening closed cell foam(fire insulated and heat resistant) around the esky storages, and hatches. Store towels under centre seat(heat helps dry towels), fill rear storage next. This helps more than the foam. The foam helps heaps though.
Cheers

Hi davo, what's the locally sourced stuff you used?

Hi, it's purchased from Clark Rubber stores. Comes in sheets, with 3m backing. Still works nicely.

cheers

Hmmm, it's a while ago, maybe "form shield" or something. Just ask the guys there for the heat resistant, closed cell noise insulating stuff. From memory there's about three different thicknesses. The stuff is black/grey with a silvery side(heat proof). How's the hunt for speakers going?

Speakers are a slow slog but so is the steering wheel upgrade. If I'm up and running by summer I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back