Ski Mode questions on 2018 Wake Pro 230

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kroppork

I spent about 10 hours on a new Wake Pro 230 this weekend, and it is amazing. Ski Mode, however, gave me nothing but trouble. Almost any time I used it to pull a skier, it started out fine, then around 9MPH it would cut power enough that the skiers started to sink for 2-3 seconds, then start going again until it overshot the top speed. This happened in ramp modes 1-5.

I have a rather long description of what I am doing with hope that someone can tell me if something about my process is messing Ski Mode up. I have tested and note that if I get up to idle (4MPH) and move forward a ways before accelerating it seems to work perfectly and I tested this repeatedly alone and with a tube, however getting up to idle speed before accelerating does not work especially with a 6 year old new skier who would be slowly dragged through the water at idle speed.

I hear others do have success with ski mode. Am I doing something wrong? Does ski mode need some movement or time engaged to be working properly?

With skiers here is what I do: I generally am turning the Wake Pro off, getting skier, ropes, spotter situated, turning it on, going back and forth between Forward and Neutral to pull the rope tight, turn on Ski Mode, then sit in Neutral until the skier is ready, using Forward once in a while to keep the rope tight. Once they are ready I generally go from Neutral to Forward, then expect I should be able to just hit the gas and have it take off. Sometimes here it takes off, sometimes there is a delay and it starts out really really slowly. Either way it generally gets up to the magical midpoint (5-9MPH) then RPMs drop, skiers fall, and frustration abounds.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I reviewed your 2018 operators manual for ski mode and it appears the same as my 2011. Not quite sure if it’s operator error or a software glitch. Usually operator error but yours is new so maybe software. Automation and the Multi function display. I have a little advantage since I flew BRP aircraft and its amazing how similar the MFDs are. Make sure you are using and scanning the MFD when you are pushing buttons and review the manual so you know what’s what. Make sure you have programmed the launch and top speed modes properly. Make sure you see “Ski Mode Engaged” on the MFD by hitting the set button before you launch and hold full throttle during acceleration. My ski does not act like yours during the acceleration, it goes right to top speed and stays there. I can’t see anything specific you are doing wrong but maybe an hour in a simulator would help.

Not sure if it is the same but on the Wakepro 215 you have to start from Neutral and then hold full throttle. If you start in Forward it will do exactly as you describe. It took us awhile to figure this out as we would always have it in Forward to take the slack out of the line and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't ever get a consistent pull and the ramp always seemed ridiculous no matter the setting. Once we realized you had to be in Neutral and go strait to full throttle and hold it all the ramps worked perfectly. We never manually use throttle now to pull as the Ski mode is pretty awesome and always consistant.

Thank you both for your feedback! I just got back to the boat yesterday, and what you described really helped. I was able to get Ski Mode to reliably work.

I paid close attention to what I did differently to make it work or not, here is what I think happens:

When you turn on ski mode, it will work properly once as long as you don't touch the trigger. If you pull the trigger enough for it to even think you are moving forward, it changes to a new mode where you need to press "set" before ski mode works correctly again. The display does tell you to press set, but this is hard to notice when you are stretching a rope out while looking backwards and not taking the 20 seconds takes to watch the "press set" message scroll. The few times I did see this message I assumed it was optional since the ski mode light was already on and it *almost* works properly.

I believe the short answer to this problem is - Press Set, see the Ski Mode light, then floor it any time you are using ski mode. Never assume its ready to go, just assume you must press Set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back