Skat Trak impeller install prob... HELP!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

stickshift69

I bought a skat trak swirl 17-22 that was used. I went to install it and noticed that there is no cone on the front of it to direct water like the oem impeller, and the oem wont fit. Do these impellers even come with a cone and what would be the effects of not using one? Any help would be great. Thanks

Don't need the cone.

Freaked me out when I swapped mine, but called Skat-Trak and they said that you don't use it on their impellers.

Yes, but the hard plastic cone cover that was originally on it didn't fit over their rubber boot.

I didn't get a hard plastic cone to go over the rubber boot. Just the rubber boot which is a tight fit over the drive shaft. And yes, I would absolutely run it. The water will get disturbed inside the drive shaft and impeller splines without it. Could just cause you problems in the long run.

I did, and that was the answer I got.

Call them and make sure that the anwer I got was correct.

Please post back here if it was right or not.

I did, and that was the answer I got.

Call them and make sure that the anwer I got was correct.

Please post back here if it was right or not.

Hopefully there is more than one guy there and he can ask them. I usually like to call someone and then call back again a little later in hopes that I get someone else. That way, if the stories are similar, you are probably right.

There isn’t a hard cone… it’s a rubber cone for Skat-Trak. If you didn’t get one… they will send you one free of charge if you call the tech line. I bought mine used on eBay… and it didn’t come with it… they sent me one free. If you don’t’ use the rubber cone (seal) your drive shaft could seize in the impeller… or worse… it could rust the spines, and they will shear off. (not good)

Call them up, and get one.

Also when you install the pump back onto the ski, put some grease on it (same as the pto grease). Just cover the splines lightly and that will help prevent rusting, heat protection, shearing off of the drive shaft. Yea it is a little messy when you take it back apart, but that is much better than replacing a broken drive shaft or stripped out splines.

Oh, BTW, that's where the grease goes when you grease the "pto", just the splines in the pto, nothing else.

Thanks for the info. Ill call them tomorrow. My pump is already in but if I have to take it back out I will. I too got mine from ebay. GRR
:cheers:

I just got to the cabin and decided to take a look at my XP650 to see if it had the cone on it with the skat trak and sure enough it did. So I called skat trak and they are putting one in the mail free of charge. I guess some models need them and some dont...
:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back