Should I buy this 2007 Sea Doo 180 challenger w/ Rotex 215 Supercharger?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.
I have now downloaded the Operator's Guide and the Shop Manual. Had the supercharger rebuilt ( it had ceramic washers ). I am concerned ... the impeller and the throut housing on the sc was dinged up. like something bounced around and went through the impeller at some point. see photo. The rebuilder did not seem concerned about it. Any thoughts as to what caused this ? and is the dings on the impeller any issue?
Thanks.

Attachments

• ~b568393.jpeg
    ~b568393.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 21
Well, that would be hard to say what caused it. That side is the intake side of the Supercharger, there is a filter on one end of the tubing connecting to the Supercharger. So unless they ran without the air silencer connected to the hose, or dropped something in the intake tube going to the supercharger, that got that impeller dinged up. Typically it shouldn't be a problem, it is more of a concern if there are gouges where the impeller fins meet the inside of the circumference of the housing, it would affect boost. I would do a compression check on each cylinder to make sure the compression is good and pretty close to the same measurement between each cylinder. Whatever dinged up the impeller, more than likely went through the intake into the cylinder head area (unless it is stuck somewhere in your intercooler inside the intake, best case), which might account for it running poorly - could have bent a valve or dinged a valve and or seat.

As for the marks in the SC. Is it possible it is pitting from corrosion? I have seen many SC's operated in Salt water that have serious corrosion that when you clean it all up, you end up with pitting.

The reason I say that is because if something went through the SC, it would look alot worse.

Thanks for the remarks ... Temp gauge on dash is water temp of Lake. Understood. As for SC, something small, maybe plastic ? went in there ... it is not pitted like corroded by salt. something hit and dinged up the throat and the SC Fins. Luckly no gauges where the impeller fins meet the inside circumference of the housing.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 19
  • ~b137311.jpeg
    ~b137311.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 19
Boat Ran Great on test drive with 3 new fresh spark plugs. Ran 7900 + RPM on windy rough water approx 42 MPH on plane ... SO ether the rebuilder swapped out my sc fin and housing with another one ( can not prove ) .. or this condition was there and had no effect on performance of the engine. My thought is, it may never be an issue, and I should install this SC and enjoy until something arises ?? Opinions Please ...

If you got the engine to go to 7900, you should be okay. Enjoy it and deal with problems later if they come up.

Great to hear! I have always said, the best indication of the health of the powertrain of your boat is in its ability to hit the target top speed and RPM range. If it does that, you are good.

So ... I checked my silencer air box. is there suppose to be some kind of filter in there ?
No filter. and I looked it up in the book and can not find anything about a filter .... So dirty air flows straight into the turbo and then into the engine !

That I did not know. I looked up the part and yes, it appears to be an empty plastic box. Luckily most boats don't run on dirt roads but I agree, it is ridiculous. Maybe you can retrofit it with the newer intake? You do have to be careful though because the ignition module is on there and needs the airflow for cooling.

On the 230's with the 255/260hp external intercooled engines, we don't have an air silencer. There are K&N Air filter attached to the air intake tube. 1653955014428.png

Thanks for info ....
Help ....
So my exhaust rattles and changes sound ... I assume their are baffles inside. Sounds like they are broke ? rattling around ... The thick coating on the exhaust is bubbled. Obviously exhaust got hot ( Probably from engine running without water thru the exhaust. I think i need to replace the Exhaust Muffler. Any Idea where to get one ? I have looked in all the usual places like Sea Doo Warehouse, e-bay, ....

Also,
Sea Doo ( Roseville Power sports ) Sold me XPS Kit to Change Engine Oil with 5W-40 Synthetic Blend for ROTAX 1500 CC or More Engine.
After reading my manual, it calls for 10W-40 Synthetic Blend.
I do not want to put the wrong oil in.
I of course lean toward the book 10W-40 Synthetic Blend .... Please Help.
Thanks to all. Very informative and Helpful people.

Thanks for info ....
Help ....
So my exhaust rattles and changes sound ... I assume their are baffles inside. Sounds like they are broke ? rattling around ... The thick coating on the exhaust is bubbled. Obviously exhaust got hot ( Probably from engine running without water thru the exhaust. I think i need to replace the Exhaust Muffler. Any Idea where to get one ? I have looked in all the usual places like Sea Doo Warehouse, e-bay, ....
The exhaust has a baffle in the bottom and rear part of the can. This is the exit point. Different sounds are normal in some cases as the water builds and passes through this channel.

Almost all of the coated cans I see have the coating messed up.

Understood. The noise goes away when I rev up the engine ( 4 to 5000 RPM ) I was told it that
sounds normal for the jet ... Clankity and noisy at idle goes away at higher RPM. So, as you said above, Different sounds are normal ( I think its normal now ) ....
Also, Thanks for the oil weight above .. Total respect for your knowledge ... but the XPS oil change box has a temp rating on it that concerns me. 107F Ambient temp. I am in California ambient temp could exceed 110 ... I have read other posts for this exact boat saying be sure you use 10w40 synthetic Blend and my Manual says 10w40 synthetic blend..... Does any one think I should use 10w40 ??

5W40 and 10W40 are the same weight oil, with 5W having a better low temp properties.

Either will be fine in IMHO as they are both 40W oil. I run 5W40 because that is what the dealer sells in the kit.

I am in Canada where if it were 110F, people would lose their S#&t, so maybe others in the hot states could add their perspective.

I run 5w40 in my twin boat and my supercharged jetskis. I live in the Dallas area and we will be in the 100's a good part of the summer. Runs fine, no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back