Shop has run out of ideas on my low-powered 2001 Challenger 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you could swap out the trigger coil for 2&5 with another set of cylinders and see if the problem follows it? How are you able to tell that those cylinders drop out?

Thanks IDoSeaDoo, great advice!

Would it be an expensive job to swap the all out to be sure?

Thank you all again

Not clear-- did you ever replace the trigger coils under the flywheel? Results?

Check ebay for your ignition coils. If you replace only 1 or 2, be sure your #2 & #5 are the same as your mechanic. They are usually referred to as #1port or #1starboard. Top to bottom.

Have you considered the ignition control module (one of 2 blocks on top of the engine, about 1x3x4 inch.)

I found NOS coils local for $25 each.

Not clear-- did you ever replace the trigger coils under the flywheel? Results?

Check ebay for your ignition coils. If you replace only 1 or 2, be sure your #2 & #5 are the same as your mechanic. They are usually referred to as #1port or #1starboard. Top to bottom.

Have you considered the ignition control module (one of 2 blocks on top of the engine, about 1x3x4 inch.)

I found NOS coils local for $25 each.

Hi Tim75

I did not change the trigger coils under the flywheel yet, so can try that. Are there many to change? My apologies for the questions, but i am in unknown territory when I get in that engine bay [emoji4]

Also, are the ignition coils different from trigger coils?

I have not looked at ignition control module either?

I would be willing to change any/all of these to get it running, and to be honest, if this does not work, I am going to have sell her

The trigger coils (plural) are 3 coils on one assembly, under the flywheel, 1 six-wire connector.

The ignition coils connect to the spark plugs. They are mounted on stern of engine, between heads. There are 2 screws, one spark plug wire and one connector per coil.

Check connections at ignition control module.

The trigger coils (plural) are 3 coils on one assembly, under the flywheel, 1 six-wire connector.

The ignition coils connect to the spark plugs. They are mounted on stern of engine, between heads. There are 2 screws, one spark plug wire and one connector per coil.

Check connections at ignition control module.

Awesome, Tim75, thank you again.

I think i could change out the ignition coils (found 6 for $150 on eBay), and the Ignition control module, but i read about timing possibly being a concern for changing the trigger coils - is that right?

If i change all of these, are there any other areas that this could be related to? When looking up the parts, i saw there was a rev limiter underneath the ignition control module also - could that be a cause?

Yes, timing may change. Let's get it running, your mech.can set the timing. Have you ever looked at the insulation from the trigger coils? 6 pin connector, top of engine, behind flywheel. Look for bad insulation.

I don't know any way to check rev limiter- other than replace it.

Unplug and inspect all the connectors. Check wires to VST.

Thanks again Tim75. I think I will book it in to have the trigger coils changed, so it is done right first time (and because I ordered the coil now). I have also ordered new ignition coils, which I can do myself

Could Rev limiter be a cause for the low RPM issue also?

When you say unplug all connectors, you mean on engine in general, or specific ones?

Thank you for bearing with me on this!

All the connectors-- one at a time. Looking for corrosion, bent pins, loose connectors that may have broken locking tabs. Starting at key switch.

You may have a throttle guardian & rev. limiter. Either could be at fault. The TG can be disabled by finding and cutting the black/yellow wire. TG should be in driver helm box. About 1x3x4 inch. Some say the wire is VERY dark blue with yellow stripe.

All the connectors-- one at a time. Looking for corrosion, bent pins, loose connectors that may have broken locking tabs. Starting at key switch.

You may have a throttle guardian & rev. limiter. Either could be at fault. The TG can be disabled by finding and cutting the black/yellow wire. TG should be in driver helm box. About 1x3x4 inch. Some say the wire is VERY dark blue with yellow stripe.

Hey Tim75, just got word back from the shop today that the trigger coil replacement worked!!! He reported back RPM’s are back above 3000, and it was purring along at 55 mph!

Cannot thank you and others in the thread enough for the advice and support on this one, greatly appreciated

Have a great season
ChunkeyMonkey

Hey Tim75, just got word back from the shop today that the trigger coil replacement worked!!! He reported back RPM’s are back above 3000, and it was purring along at 55 mph!

Cannot thank you and others in the thread enough for the advice and support on this one, greatly appreciated

Have a great season
ChunkeyMonkey

Thanks for posting your solution! Too many times we never hear the fix for a problem which makes the thread sometimes interesting, but mostly useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back