Shave the rave??????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a question it kinda relates to this thread. I just cleaned my raves, I used Jake's method using easy off oven cleaner. Worked great, Ma always did say you were the smart one.

Anyway I currently have the raves with the adjuster turned about one turn in past flush and they are opening about 4500 rpm, I would like them to open about 5200 rpm, so I need to back them off, counter clockwise back to flush or so and the water regulator should be set about the same. Is this correct?

Also Jake spins 180's and 360's are possible on the GSX but they're a lot easier with a X4 hull, and not bad on my 96GTI which has an elongated X4 hull. I was out doing them today on the 96GTI. The GSX tend to dig in while the X4 skips across the water.

Lou

I've got a question it kinda relates to this thread. I just cleaned my raves, I used Jake's method using easy off oven cleaner. Worked great, Ma always did say you were the smart one.

Anyway I currently have the raves with the adjuster turned about one turn in past flush and they are opening about 4500 rpm, I would like them to open about 5200 rpm, so I need to back them off, counter clockwise back to flush or so and the water regulator should be set about the same. Is this correct?

Also Jake spins 180's and 360's are possible on the GSX but they're a lot easier with a X4 hull, and not bad on my 96GTI which has an elongated X4 hull. I was out doing them today on the 96GTI. The GSX tend to dig in while the X4 skips across the water.

Lou

Tightening the spring tension delays opening and loosening the opposite. So I would think you`d need to tighten them up a bit and test for your target rpms.
I have seen where people have drilled a large hole in the Rave cap to see the actual rpm the raves open.

as far as I know, and that`s not much, the WCV is set at the factory, some have said 3 turns out, some are more than 4. I know it`s a combination of both if you are fine tuning. I always assumed the WCV helped with max rpm as well...

Fabebook pulled my video because I used an unauthorized music track. I'll upload it here or to my personal site. They found that in an hour, but my slashed tires in college, that was just too damn hard to follow up on.

Tighten the raves to keep them closed longer. Ie open at 5,000 RPM
Loosen them to open sooner. IE: open at 4,000 RPM.

Loosening the water rave will close it sooner, cutting off water to the pipe at a lower RPM.

This may raise the higher RPM power. On the 951 I usually set it 1 turn out from flush.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Big Genesis has the 1200cc 3cyl Polaris Domestic engine in it. And it's a hoot to ride. Yes, it's big and stable... but it's still 300 Lbs lighter than a new ski.

Anyway... I'll have to go back and check my impeller... but I bored the pump 2mm. So....... I think the impeller was a 17-24 Swirl that I put in. (I will double check)

But will it hit the same top speed in 3' waves? My GTI 155 is heavy but I still hit the same 61 mph on the gps in all water conditions where as my xp's are unhooked constantly.

WELLLLLLL...........................................

If you want better low end... tighten the RAVE's, and the water regulator. Also... you may want to put in a larger water jet in the pipe. A wet pipe will smooth out the transition. Basically... keep the pipe wet, until the raves open.
Because the way the system works... and because of the nature of our engine (RPM's can hit quick) it's hard to get it perfectly smooth.

On my personal XP... it's a hard hit at about 5500 rpm. I have the RAVE's and water switch at about the same time. My cross-over is like hitting a light switch. But... with that said... I have GREAT low RPM torque. But I run a high pitch swirl impeller, and bored my pump. (so my thrust is in a different range)

On a PWC all adjustments effect everything else. I set up my ski's to rip my arms off, and go fast on rough water. But... I'm sure on flat smooth water... my XP is only running around 52~53 MPH.

I don't have experience with the 800's but on the old 670 sled engines we always ran thicker base gaskets to raise the port timing. Yes it dropped the compression but we gained rpm,torque and HP.

Great thread guys. Honda has some good work on here. I think I'm gonna leave the seat on the bank tomorrow and just turn things and watch #'s.

The reason I want to change when the raves kick in is when we ride together my wife will ride the 96GTI (no raves), which max's out at about 52mph and cruises about 45mph, so when I ride either the 96GSX or the XP (both have rave valves) at about 45 mph the raves are constantly kicking in and out, so originally I thought I would try to have the raves kick in sooner, but now I'm thinking maybe later like about 5500 rpm which would be 50mph or so. Y'all got any suggestions.

Lou

They make new covers for rave valves that have alum. arms that link the valves together if you want to physically watch them open. I never really cared for them as I always set my motor base lines on a dyno and fine tuned them in the field since dyno HP # don't always work from the shop to field conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
what ski are you on?

the basic principal is the same, get the jet to slide, usually losing grip on the water.

get up to speed then turn + punch it, then get off the throttle when it looses grip.

does this link work?

thanks for the info, I was doing 180s and 360s today. fun stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back