Selling older skis to non-mechanical people

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

soccerdad

What is everyone's feelings about selling older skis to people that are non-mechanical? I am selling some skis and potential buyers seem to be lacking in any abilities to keep them running if something goes wrong. They are in top shape now with everything working, but they are 25+ years old. They should run for years more with little maintenance, but something could fail as well. Selling to a hobbyist is a no brainer, but selling to a family seems different. They know they are '96 skis but it feels like they think they are Honda Civics with 100K miles on them. I don't want to talk them out of buying them but want to be upfront as well. My problem is that I know too much. I assume I am overthinking this and should just be honest and sell to whoever ponies up the cash. Do you ever have any discussions with a buyer on stuff like this?
Thoughts?

If you don't want to be their mechanic when things need attention then you could provide them with the contact info of someone who'll mechanic for them. Otherwise, let them know that most shops don't work on older skis due to the fact that new OEM parts are not always available. Just remind them that All older machines (cars & skis alike) will require attention at some point. Be sure to include in your sales receipt that seller is aware they are sold As Is with no warranty. You don't want to discourage but you do want them to be aware that all things require attention at some point and that dealers don't work on older machine due to OEM new parts availability.

As racer said, be honest with them and make it clear that you will not be working on them. They are 20+ year old skis and as any used vehicle there is no warranty or guarantee. I always tell people that my skis are in the best possible condition and maintenance they could possible be in but they are 20 years old and stuff can happen just like a brand new vehicle. As soon as they sign the papers they are not my problem so don't come calling me if they break.

And that is what I did. They were gone though and should be trouble free with proper maintenance pending anything that just breaks because it is old. I decided that I was over thinking it. These things are actually pretty basic machines. A running motor, a good jet pump and a decent battery is all they need. All the little stuff we worry about is not really an issue for day to day riding. Most items on this forum are either for major grenades or from neglect. I reminded them they were 1996 skis and were currently in good running condition. They were gone though and should be minimal trouble, but they are 1996 skis. I feel good about selling them. They should enjoy them. I gave them the list of do's and don'ts. And a set of plugs since they have not been lake run this season. And a full set of operator and repair manuals, complete with sticky notes on the real important stuff. Then sent them on their way.

Back