Sell, part out, or fix ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Old Stinger

Ok, my '96 Speedster has one bad engine,,new top end, but now it wont turn over. The onther engine is fine. Freshly redone seats,,,turf mats,, new trailer etc. The hull has some oops's here and there,, that way i wouldnt mind it if the kids whacked a dock or such. My question,, do I replace ($2K) the bad engine,,,part it out totally or sell as is? With my big boat,, I just dont have the time or energy to dedicate to the 'doo. Any suggestions?

My buddy just paid $1800 plus to the guys in Delaware to have a new sbt engine installed. I've been hearing bad reports on the SBT engines from people,,I have NO experience with SBT myself except with my top end rebuild parts,,,just asking around. I'm worried about dumping LOTS more $$$$ into a boat than its worth. Maybe I could get more out of the boat by parting it out...

you'd think you could, but, you cant, or it'll take ALOT longer than you think. Carbs may sell quik, but you'll have to wait for someones seat/s to fly off on the freeway, b4 you getta bite. The motors, if lucky, 200 buks each, whats left, a few control cables, and a computer board, that now, people fix for nuthing....
As for SBT, pros and cons, but i found, that you need to "break apart" the motor, to visualize everything, so theres no "hidden" charges...exp, look for cracks, chips..etc, on/in the cases, something that will cost them more to fix, which then, will charge you, atleast, they cant pull the wool over ya.

I have the same situation, went ahead and decided to go with a new engine, didnt know that they bill you if the engine is damaged?!? What the heck is the point of getting a new engine if there is nothing wrong with the one your sending to them?!?

Damaged....

They bill you if the engine is not a returnable core or if the core requires welding repairs. They actually have a list on their home page that gives you links to junkyards to get a core to return to them. They also have a check list on what they look for in a returnable core. Reading the engine core return is important because you can save yourself a lot of money if you can find the damaged part to return to them, verses them double charging you for that part...

You said your engine was not damaged. Then, I'd like to know what they charged you for. I just bought a 787 because of a blown MAG piston. The only thing wrong with the blown engine was it scraped up the sides of the cylinder sleeve and melted some of the piston top. But, there was no damage to any of the casing parts. It's the casing they will usually back charge you on. They will also back charge you on the time limits. When you get your new motor, you should always have the old one pulled and all the subcomponents removed so you can take the old one, put it back in the box and take it to FedEx the next day or two. Keeping the motor over your time period will also incur charges.

Did they tell you why you were charged on your core?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back