Seats! Forum participation needed...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_User

Well this is a bit premature, but nothing like getting ready for another custom project to be done over the off season.
Although our helm seats are in very Good condition, I`m not feeling the love with these bolster type seats and feel the need to install something a little more cushy. If anyone has done a similar mod to the challenger 1800 please post what you did.
For you guys that are reading and want to join in and participate, please suggest which seats you would go with and where I could acquire them from. So far I`ve been looking at Overton`s and WestMarine catalogs.

My plan is to install an aftermarket boat seat to the OEM swivel mechanism.

and then sell the OEM seats with the metal backs...

Thanks, and lemme see what your choices and colors would be!

these are the helm seats in the boat currently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is a bit premature, but nothing like getting ready for another custom project to be done over the off season.
Although our helm seats are in very Good condition, I`m not feeling the love with these bolster type seats and feel the need to install something a little more cushy. If anyone has done a similar mod to the challenger 1800 please post what you did.
For you guys that are reading and want to join in and participate, please suggest which seats you would go with and where I could acquire them from. So far I`ve been looking at Overton`s and WestMarine catalogs.

My plan is to install an aftermarket boat seat to the OEM swivel mechanism.

and then sell the OEM seats with the metal backs...

Thanks, and lemme see what your choices and colors would be!

these are the helm seats in the boat currently.

Great minds think alike. I was just discussing the boat seats with the Misses. I hate my captains seats. Seems like every time we run into a roller or cruiser wake the damn seat racks my ba!!$. :ack: Plus they sit too low in the boat. I like to sit higher so that I can see what is going on around me.
I was at the Sea Doo/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer last week looking at youth atv's for my grandkids. They had a Yamaha 230 and I just loved the captains seats. They sit higher and I don't feel enclosed sitting in them. They also have the cushion the folds up so that you can sit/stand high while docking etc. Ask the Parts Counter Person how much for the seats...over $1000 each :svengo: Won't be buying those seats anytime soon. I am going to check ebay and a few other sites. I'll report anything I find that might fit.

Edit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEA-RAY-BRI..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item5d4142e83a&vxp=mtr

thanks Jesse.

here is a few I like so far...

80794_L1

84790_L1

80795_L1

http://search.overtons.com/?Ns=p_image_sort|1||p_purchased|1&Ne=1000&N=2078&cname=Boat-Seats

I have the flip up bolster seats in my cruiser and really like them, I'd highly recommend them. Unfortunately as other's have listed here boat seats and posts are very expensive.

I'd say that ebay link for those Yamahas are the way to go.

I have the flip up bolster seats in my cruiser and really like them, I'd highly recommend them. Unfortunately as other's have listed here boat seats and posts are very expensive.

we are getting away from the bolster style seating. and room is very limited with the challenger 1800 bc of the rear drink holder/foot step bump out in the gunwale directly behind the seat... That requires something rounded or tapered just like the OEM bolsters.

what boat did you install your seats in?

I didn't install them, they are stock. It's a Glastron GX 235, if you google it you can see pictures. I may be using the term bolster wrong, not a bolster in the sense of a sport seat that holds you side to side, it's the extended part of the seat bottom, it flips up so you can half stand, half lean back into the seat.

I've owned a lot of boats and these are by far the most comfortable seats I've come across.

Here it is in the flipped up position
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resize/1/99/82/4489982_20131017085212559_1_XLARGE.jpg?f=/1/99/82/4489982_20131017085212559_1_XLARGE.jpg&w=606&h=467&t=1382028732000

I didn't install them, they are stock. It's a Glastron GX 235, if you google it you can see pictures. I may be using the term bolster wrong, not a bolster in the sense of a sport seat that holds you side to side, it's the extended part of the seat bottom, it flips up so you can half stand, half lean back into the seat.

I've owned a lot of boats and these are by far the most comfortable seats I've come across.

Here it is in the flipped up position
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resize/1/99/82/4489982_20131017085212559_1_XLARGE.jpg?f=/1/99/82/4489982_20131017085212559_1_XLARGE.jpg&w=606&h=467&t=1382028732000
Cool boat the Glastron!, we`re going to give the SAS seats a try...

Your seats are in better shape than mine, I would definately be interested in your oem seats if you decide to sell...

Cool boat the Glastron!, we`re going to give the SAS seats a try...

Thanks, I originally bought it to flip but my wife took one look at it and wanted to keep it, plus the seller was such a nice guy I would have felt guilty flipping it quick.

I have has this same idea for my 98 speedster. The thing stopping me is trying to find matching seats for the two in the rear. The boat it is a 2x2 layout with those bolster seats, the ones in the back are just foam mounted into the molded fiberglass. If I could find some (probably bolster style) that fit in the back, I would definitely do it.

I have has this same idea for my 98 speedster. The thing stopping me is trying to find matching seats for the two in the rear. The boat it is a 2x2 layout with those bolster seats, the ones in the back are just foam mounted into the molded fiberglass. If I could find some (probably bolster style) that fit in the back, I would definitely do it.
The front seat project is completed with custom mounting keeping the OEM sliders. Now I`m working on a rear seat solution.
The hull has indents as does yours for the bottom cushions, so I`m not starting off with a flat surface, but will work around that...

That looks great! I noticed it's really tight underneath the seats. I'm not sure how I would mount new seats to the original location, on the factory seats, the cushion just comes off. New seats wont be like that.

I was looking at these http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEA-DOO-WHITE-CHARCOAL-BOAT-BUCKET-CAPTAIN-DRIVERS-SEATING-SEATS-PAIR-/190817400536?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c6d9a76d8&vxp=mtr

they are the same shape/size as the current seats, but are a lot nicer. Not sure how I could mount them though...

also look on iboats.com for seats, those from the skipper are way pricey.

I had to fabricate a custom mount for the attwood seats to work. anything with a standard mounting pattern 5x5 5x 81/4, 5x10 can be made to work. or get rid of the factory sliders and use a short pedestal mount... all depends on the height and what you want to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back