seadoo islandia 2001 wont pass 15 mph after rope stuck in impeller.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gladiator

Dear Dr.honda I need your help. First thanks for this great info here.
I have a seadoo Islandia just got it with mercury m2 jet drive 240hp. I took it on shore and was running just fine until we were tubing and the robe stuck in that grill and around the jet drive. Engine died. So I dived and cut it loose ...I fired up the engine and it started just fine we started driving back once I reach 7 mile the engine shuts off so I had to drive the boat at 5-7 mile per hour for 2 hours straight to get back. The problem was it was very slow and every few min it will shuts off as well as soon as I speed up. But it will start right back. So once we reach the dock I put it on the trailer then cut the rest of the rope from the inside behind the grill from under the boat. Put the boat back on water it went up to 10-15 miles but the again same problem shuts off. But it will fire right back but it will not pass speed of 15. And as soon as I rev it above 4000rpm it will shut off. But if I idle at low rpm and low speed/rpm it will go for much longer like 10 m in vs. 2 min at15 mph. so I assumed that the engine shutting off becoz it is not getting water to be cooled as it suppose to due to the fact it is blocked by the rope that was sucked in. so I assumed there is a sensor that shutting the engine off due to the cooling water system is not circulating and that happens only when I speed. So I disassembled the back of the jet pump drive. I took the rear steering black half circle metal part and the piece behind it as well. Now I can see the everything and the 4 small tube that sucks the water into the engine are clean. No robe or any dirt.
I noticed the impeller had a lot of necks and scratches and the housing as well. But the rope did not coz that for sure. The boat was running at full speed before this accident at 40 mph so it can’t be the impeller and the wear ring (at least I don’t think so). I checked the water hoses from the other side I mean inside the engine. So I took the clams out and the hoses seems clean.
Some fuse were blown I replaced them.
The engine fires up fine with water from the hose. Sounds and runs fine. But does not pass 4000rpm/15mph
What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than pulling the pump apart... have you checked anything?

Also... does your beeper work? If the engine was overheating... the buzzer would sound.

i took the first two parts of the jet pump the steering nozzle and another piece now i can see the impeller but its clean. nothing preventing the water from going in.

the buzzer did not sound i don't know why.

before i took the jet pump a part. i connected water hose to the engine and i started it on the trailer in my driveway it worked just fine and i rev it to the max for like 3-4 min. :mad: whats next???

Well.... like in that other post... there is a chance that the throttle guardian has given up. Cut the black/yellow wire from it, that goes to the key and the lanyard.

Also... it's not a good idea to rev the engine without a load. To properly check it... it needs to be in the water.

Finally... I don't think the rope has anything with the problem. It's just a coincidence that it happened at the same time. But... while you are under the deck lid... make sure none of the wiring is loose, or corroded. (since you are in NJ, I'm assuming you ride in salt water)

Last edited by a moderator:
could you please explain to me how to do that (disconnect the throttle guardian)?
as I have the repair manual but there is no mention of it any where in the manual.

It's not in any of the books.

It a black box that is mounted in your helm. Cut the black/yellow wire close to the box. There are other black/yellow wires in the helm, and they are the "Kill" wire for the ignition. SO... you don't want to cut them. Just the one at the box.

I gave up after i could not find that guardian.... and took it to a mercury mechanic he discovered that there is a fuel line that was cracked and was deteriorated so he replaced that and the problem was fixed.

so if you have similar problem check all your hoses for leaks...that what was happening with my boat .
the leak triggered the engine sensor to shut of due to the fuel not being reaching or due to the fuel being not normally flowing.

and yes dr Honda this problem had nothing to do with that robe being stuck in the impeller ... it was just my luck that this problem happen same time the robe stuck....amazing considance.
just to state the facts. hope that could help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back