Seadoo Hull Conversion to Mini Electric Boat Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmetibbs

I came across a free hull of a 1995 Seadoo SPX that came with the jet pump. I thought it would be a fun project to turn it into a mini boat that my kids can ride around in, so I chopped it up.

Since a seadoo 587 engine runs at about 6100 RPMs under normal conditions with the pump loaded, I figure if I can get half of that, it should be good for kids to put around in.

Right now, I've got 2 motors as options. A treadmill Motor that runs at 7099 rpms if I get 130v DC to it or a 36V DC motor that runs at 3600 RPMS.

I'm leaning toward the 36v motor, because it's bigger, and I assume it provides more torque. Plus, it will be easier to get 36v out of 3 12v batteries instead of trying to get 130v to the treadmill motor.

I'm still unsure about the type of controls I'll need, any thoughts on that from you would be helpful.

My next step is to get a coupler and try to fit the motor shaft onto the seadoo jet pump.

Here are the motors I'm looking at:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VBzdQskZJJhV09RA2

Here's a video of us getting started on the project:

https://youtu.be/qdd1y3LqcGM

Interesting and kinda cool idea. I'd probably go with the 36V motor as well, and shooting from the hip, have a look at golf cart propulsion stuff for controlling the current?

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, I don't recall ever seeing any jet-ski riding lawnmowers... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Look into e-bike battery and controller. Some e-bike operates at 36V and some at 48V. Since it is a bike, you could probably adapt the handlebar control to the Seadoo's handlebar

3 12V 20AH Lead acid batteries and I guarantee you wont get more than 15 mins of riding time at WOT , 3hp is alot of power for a 36V pack ebike batteries to put out. To just put around I would just buy an inflatable seadoo, this contraption would probly be no faster anyway. I have alot of experience with e-bikes and my 84V (eight 12V 20AH SLA batteries) and I dont get more than 45mins run time at WOT (45km/h). Dont do it unless its for just the fun of the build and shits and giggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back