Seadoo GTI le Starts but stalls

Nmunoz3

Water Crafts
2004 seadoo GTI LE
2006 seadoo rxp
Hey guys I have a 2004 GTI LE that is driving me nuts, it has been sitting for 4 years, so I changed oil, fuel, spark plugs, stabilizer, etc it started up eventually and ran perfect I was able to rev but me being a newby I ran the house while off for a while.... So I got all the water out with plugs off.... it turns perfectly and sometimes turns on but when it does it turns off in a mattter or seconds.... So I took air box off and put premix in and as soon as I do it fires and turns and I can rev for a while but eventually it will die again, I do hear a whining noise sometimes when trying to start it there is no relation with the throttle it happens randomly..... What should my next move be, rebuild carbs? Is it a fuel pump issue? Fuel filter? I’m stuck any advice will be appreciated!

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
It does take a while to get all the water out even when it starts for the first couple of times.

That being said if it still doesn't pull fuel you probably have water in your fuel pump diaphragm on the carb, or the water in the cases damaged the fuel pump diaphragm. Either way it is a good excuse to go through the carbs.

Nmunoz3

Water Crafts
2004 seadoo GTI LE
2006 seadoo rxp
Ordered a OEM rebuild kit and OEM needle and seat with the vacuum test! Would you know what the symptoms of a bad fuel pump would be? Would it whine? Any easy tests to test it?

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
The engine will starve for fuel, they will typically only run by putting some premix down the carb and as soon as the premix burns off the engine will die.

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
It's not uncommon for a water flooded engine to cause fuel pump issues.

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
Is yours the single carb 720 or the Fuel injected 787?

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
There is no pump in the tank and not the carb diaphragm.
The only fuel pump is in the side of the carb under the rectangle block. THere is a mylar film that separates the crankcase pulses from the fuel that moves up and down with the engine pulses and two round check valves that let the fuel in. When water is in the cases it can damage the mylar fuel pump film since you can't compress water.

Nmunoz3

Water Crafts
2004 seadoo GTI LE
2006 seadoo rxp
Thank you for the all feedback mikidymac very appreciated! I’m quite un experienced how would I remove the water just take the Mylar film off? What else should I do?

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
You will have to take the fuel pump apart and at that point you might as well rebuild the carb. Remember only genuine Mikuni parts.

JeremyD615

Water Crafts
1995 Sea Doo Speedster
1995 Sea Doo XP
1996 Sea Doo XP
And here is the pump side of the carb with the pump body pulled off and leaned up against it.

I just happen to have one pulled apart on the bench at the moment...

Attachments

Nmunoz3

Water Crafts
2004 seadoo GTI LE
2006 seadoo rxp
Perfect got the rebuild kit so will be taking it apart either way! Thank you guys for all the help! First time even putting my eyes on a carburetor should be fun

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
Where did you buy the carb kit from? It has to be only Genuine Mikuni. Don't use the springs in the kit and it's also a good idea to replace the needle and seat which aren't in the kits.

JeremyD615

Water Crafts
1995 Sea Doo Speedster
1995 Sea Doo XP
1996 Sea Doo XP
Where did you buy the carb kit from? It has to be only Genuine Mikuni. Don't use the springs in the kit and it's also a good idea to replace the needle and seat which aren't in the kits.
I know it gets said over and over again, but this is really important. You wouldn’t believe how many times someone rebuilds with an aftermarket kit and then starts a new post trying to diagnose a lean condition, or poor running ski. If you rebuild with anything but OEM parts, consider it practice because you WILL be doing it again...

Nmunoz3

Water Crafts
2004 seadoo GTI LE
2006 seadoo rxp
No worries guys all the parts that are going to be replaced with OEM mikuni parts bought the needle and valve separate as well mikuni OEM! Will I have to rebuild the pump too or take it apart?

JeremyD615

Water Crafts
1995 Sea Doo Speedster
1995 Sea Doo XP
1996 Sea Doo XP
The pump only consists of the metal cover, the gasket, and the plastic diaphragm. If the gasket looks to be in good condition, I would just replace the diaphragm, but I’ve had some trouble with a fuel pump not sealing recently, so that might just be my personal experience speaking.

Your pulse nipple should be fine. Mine came that way when I ordered a new set of carbs. It was damaged in shipping, and isn’t something that breaks very often while installed in the ski.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:15)

Adsense

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member