Seadoo GTI le Starts but stalls

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nmunoz3

Hey guys I am new to the jetski scene and to this chat so go easy on me. I recently got a 2004 seadoo gti Le it has been sitting for four years and I have been working on it for a while now new battery, oil and gas flush, new plugs, fogged cylinders, stabilizer, got it to run and was idling alright and was able to rev pretty hard with no issues, at the time had no clue you couldn’t run water while it was off.... Let’s just say I spent 10-15 with the plugs out, getting the water out...... engine turns and is still quite fast and even turns on (only with choke) but usually will shut off right away or it shuts off when I try to give it gas.... Also realized not 100% sure but only stays on when I hold the start button and the fuel selector was very hard to move when I first turned it.... Any recommendations as to what I should do no would be greatly appreciated want to get this sucker on the water already! (RXP has been sitting for four years as well but runs beautifully will be rebuilding supercharger soon)

I would do a full fuel system service including a new fuel selector and carb rebuild. Use only Genuine Mikuni parts in the carb.

And follow my carb rebuild thread here...Carb Rebuild Thread.

And as a side note what oil did you use?

You need to be running only an API-TC rated oil but that isn't your running problem.

Yeah was only going to do it this time because I needed all that other stuff for both the skis that stuff is quite expensive... Any idea where I could get API TC at a store other than the XPS stuff?

Yes, Mystic and also Lucas makes one. If you have the 720 engine then you can also use the Seadoo XPS CARB oil in the black and white bottle to save some money.

Decided to run around to do some tests put starting fluid in to carb and almost got it to run but no go once again(similar to last results without fluid).... Decided to take spark plugs out and test spark...... There is little to no spark at all.... Battery was being jumped with a car that was off and starter turning engine perfectly, where should I go from here???

Also checked that tiny fuse box that carries, I want to say 7 fuses, and 3/7 were missing and when I went to check the 4 that were in there they were extremely hard to get out (were not corroded but the metal was like white, almost like there was dry salt water) not sure if 4 years of sitting could of done that to the fuses.

Never use starting fluid in a 2-stroke. It will remove all lubrication from the engine parts.

If you have almost no spark check all grounds and connections.

Hey guys I have a 2004 GTI LE that is driving me nuts, it has been sitting for 4 years, so I changed oil, fuel, spark plugs, stabilizer, etc it started up eventually and ran perfect I was able to rev but me being a newby I ran the house while off for a while.... So I got all the water out with plugs off.... it turns perfectly and sometimes turns on but when it does it turns off in a mattter or seconds.... So I took air box off and put premix in and as soon as I do it fires and turns and I can rev for a while but eventually it will die again, I do hear a whining noise sometimes when trying to start it there is no relation with the throttle it happens randomly..... What should my next move be, rebuild carbs? Is it a fuel pump issue? Fuel filter? I’m stuck any advice will be appreciated!

It does take a while to get all the water out even when it starts for the first couple of times.

That being said if it still doesn't pull fuel you probably have water in your fuel pump diaphragm on the carb, or the water in the cases damaged the fuel pump diaphragm. Either way it is a good excuse to go through the carbs.

Ordered a OEM rebuild kit and OEM needle and seat with the vacuum test! Would you know what the symptoms of a bad fuel pump would be? Would it whine? Any easy tests to test it?

The engine will starve for fuel, they will typically only run by putting some premix down the carb and as soon as the premix burns off the engine will die.

There is no pump in the tank and not the carb diaphragm.
The only fuel pump is in the side of the carb under the rectangle block. THere is a mylar film that separates the crankcase pulses from the fuel that moves up and down with the engine pulses and two round check valves that let the fuel in. When water is in the cases it can damage the mylar fuel pump film since you can't compress water.

Thank you for the all feedback mikidymac very appreciated! I’m quite un experienced how would I remove the water just take the Mylar film off? What else should I do?

You will have to take the fuel pump apart and at that point you might as well rebuild the carb. Remember only genuine Mikuni parts.

No, this is what it will look like, except hopefully the pulse nipple isn’t broken off of yours...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
And here is the pump side of the carb with the pump body pulled off and leaned up against it.

I just happen to have one pulled apart on the bench at the moment...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back