Seadoo don't recognize key is plugged in

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nbaddorf

I just got a new engine for my 1996 seadoo gti. Before I got the new engine, all electronics worked fine. Now when I plug the key into the ski, no beeps, and no start. I can activate advanced diagnostic by pressing the start button 5 times, which then beeps telling me to put the key in, but it never detects it. I never had problems with the key before, and now I don't know what to do.

Nothing with the engine swap would have anything to do with the MPEM recognizing the lanyard.

I would go back through and check all electrical connections, cables and fuses.

I went through the fuses and they are both good, and the only electrical connections that have changed were the starter motor power, negative (connected to the starter motor) and the stator plug. The weird thing is that the DESS system worked fine before.

negative should not be connected to starter. that should be attached to the block near the starter. Positive lead should be on the starter.

I just have the negative lead connected to a screw on the starter right next to where the starter gets bolted into the flywheel case. That is where my negative wire had been before I replaced the engine, and it had worked.

Thanks for the dess forum, I tried the different things the guy said, when I measured the ohms of the key, I always got 1 on my meter which I believe means it is disconnected. When I plugged the key into the dess post, and measured between the black and black/yellow wires, I got lots of resistance when the key was plugged in, and no connection when the key was removed. Do y'all think my key is bad? If so, how would it go bad? It worked just fine last year, and I kept it inside over the winter.

you will need to wait for someone that is better at the electrical diagnosis than me. sorry. love the y'all....i am up in canada eh.

Ok, well thanks for your help! I was going to take the ski to the lake in a week to test it out for the first time, so this is a bit of a disappointing blow.

go back and make sure all connections are good. sand down anything that look corroded. all grounds and positive leads. Is there not a dedicated ground for the mpem....small black wire? any ways go back over it. could be something simple.

I have read, I think on this forum, that the Dess post has a magnetic switch in it. Maybe someone on the forum can verify that. I think the post may be bad and not the key. I would try the following tests. The Dess post makes contact with the key In the center and at the edge. Use your ohm meter to measure the resistance of the key itself by putting one probe in the center of the metal inside the key cap and the other probe at the edge of the metal inside the key cap. If the reading is close to zero that would be good. I would then take a small magnet and place it near the top of the Dess post (do not use the key) and see if you get the same high resistance value you got before on the 2 wires from the Dess post when the key was on the post. If so that would indicate the contacts of the magnetic switch inside the Dess post are dirty or corroded and the post should be replaced. Replacing the post would be a lot less trouble and expense than replacing the key. I would try that first even if the above tests don't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back