Seadoo beeper continously beeps

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

skrillac

Have a 1996 GTI I've rebuilt alot on. I've replaced the buzzer and start switch with high quality options from osdparts.com. I also replaced the info gauge from a reseller on ebay. All the multifunctions of the gauge work. I rebuilt the fuel baffle so gas level would show properly. Temperature led lights up when i short the sensor. Oil led lighted up when I emptied the oil tank, etc.

At first, everything was fine. So I went to rebuild other parts, namely the wear ring in the jet pump and had a hard time getting the engine to turn over. I imagine i stressed the starter a bit spinning and shaving that down as many times as I did. Several trickle charges later and spinning the jet pump with my drill to shave it down later and I noticed that the beeper continuously beeped one long beep when i put the dess key on the post, no interruptions. I also could not activate the starter with the start button, but found the issue there was a blown 15A fuse. It was also around this time that I noticed upon hooking the battery up the info gauge would come on and show gas level, mind you this is before the start button was pressed. I used to have to press the start button twice with the key off the post or connect the key to the post to do this.

Since this I have installed a battery disconnect switch to prevent the battery from being drained. I have no problem spinning the engine with the starter. Spark at both cylinders, temperature sensor is open line from threads to pin, etc. I've tried disconnecting the temperature sensor, checked continuity through new start switch when button is pressed (checking quality), etc. I was able to make the beeping stop by disconnecting the harness to the info gauge.

This isn't a problem with the dess post is this? Are these symptoms of a bad info gauge?

If the info gauge made it stop... It's the info gauge.

Not common whatsoever but another guy just posted another crazy issue. Maybe this is the year they all fail. They have been pretty stout up to now. I sell a few a year but nothing crazy.

I'm not an electronics kinda guy but I'd enjoy sleuthing to figure out why the beeper circuit is staying energized. Given I had the time of course. Good Luck !!

If the info gauge made it stop... It's the info gauge.

Not common whatsoever but another guy just posted another crazy issue. Maybe this is the year they all fail. They have been pretty stout up to now. I sell a few a year but nothing crazy.
Actually I must have misspoken. Went through all the sensors again today. Put dess key on the post, long uninterrupted beep. Started disconnecting everything. All 3 harnesses for both gauges, temp sensor, start switch, oil sensor. Beeping never stopped. I did notice with all harnesses connected that the temperature led was flickering sporadically while the beeper was beeping. I am unable to press the start button twice without the beeping starting, and the ski won't let me enter diag mode with the 5 starter button presses.

This has to be an issue with the dess post or mpem, right?

The Info gauge has a tan-blue stripe line that connects with the tan line from the temperature sensor. I think that line causes the temperature LED to light when the temp sensor triggers. If that line was stuck at ground because of a fault internal to the Info gauge, it would cause the continuous temp alarm that you described. You could disconnect that one wire (which would disable the temp LED) or go through the trouble of opening the Info gauge to see if it is something obvious like corrosion grounding that wire. Check the Info gauge connector for that problem before going into the gauge.
It sounds strange that your info gauge comes on when you connect the battery. Does it stay on continuously (the reason for the battery disconnect switch) or does it turn off after about 30 seconds? If it stays on by just connecting the battery that would indicate that the MPEM is not working properly or there is something going on with the red-purple stripe wire that the MPEM controls to power the Info gauge. I think the MPEM supplies 12V on that wire for about 30 seconds when you press the start key or put the key on the post. It should only continue to supply the 12V if the ski is running. Do you measure 12V on this line or something less?

The Info gauge has a tan-blue stripe line that connects with the tan line from the temperature sensor. I think that line causes the temperature LED to light when the temp sensor triggers. If that line was stuck at ground because of a fault internal to the Info gauge, it would cause the continuous temp alarm that you described. You could disconnect that one wire (which would disable the temp LED) or go through the trouble of opening the Info gauge to see if it is something obvious like corrosion grounding that wire. Check the Info gauge connector for that problem before going into the gauge.
It sounds strange that your info gauge comes on when you connect the battery. Does it stay on continuously (the reason for the battery disconnect switch) or does it turn off after about 30 seconds? If it stays on by just connecting the battery that would indicate that the MPEM is not working properly or there is something going on with the red-purple stripe wire that the MPEM controls to power the Info gauge. I think the MPEM supplies 12V on that wire for about 30 seconds when you press the start key or put the key on the post. It should only continue to supply the 12V if the ski is running. Do you measure 12V on this line or something less?
For the most part it stays on. I have seen it come off sometimes, but it will usually come back on at some point. As soon as I turn the disconnect switch the gauge lights up all 4 leds and proceeds to show gas level. Then the 4 leds (temp, oil, battery, gas) turn off and the level remains on. I don't see any led flickering until i put the dess key on the post.

I measure sustained battery voltage, 12.9V at the red purple line. I measure 12.3V at the blue tan line. This is with the dess key off. I measure 12.9V at red purple line and 1.8V at blue-tan line with key on (beeping).

It has been several minutes now and the purple red line still shows battery voltage. Same readings are present in both scenarios with the temp sensor connector disconnected.

The skis will run with the gauge harness disconnected. So a guage issue can be eliminated quickly. I think along with @artr that you begin sorting through the wires.. You may have a ground or short circuit issue. Sometimes you have to disconnect each plug and even go as far as removing the pins from the plug. The good thing is you'll know which wires are suspect. Good Luck !!

I'm fairly sure the issue is the mpem. I've tested all wires of the mpem disconnected. The only out of spec was the tan/black to black ring terminal, which i read 33kohms at (spec is greater than 200k).

This wire just so happens to connect to the tan (temp sensor) and tan/blue (temp sensor led on gauge). This may have been why I was seeing a flickering temp led on the gauge when i had the key on the post.

I'm not sure why the gauge is coming on by itself when the battery is connected. I did verify I was seeing battery voltage on the red/purple wire coming out of the mpem with the battery connected, no key on post. I can only assume the mpem is faulty here as well. Red ring term connects to solenoid leg straight from battery. Mpem is carrying that out through the red/purple to the info gauge. Should only carry that out when the key is on the post.

Does anyone have any good recommendations on where I should buy an mpem for a 1996 Seadoo GTI from? I'm seeing a bunch of sellers offering universal mpems (no key programming needed) but I'm not sure that's a good idea. I'd like to use OEM parts if available.

@artr
@etemplet
@Minnetonka4me

I do not have a GTI but I don't see a reason for the MPEM to continously power the gauges and drain the battery when the ski is not running. I would stick with OEM MPEMs from what I've read on this forum. I have also seen Westside Powersports recommended also. I believe they test and sell OEM MPEMs. You have referenced Minnetonka4me and I think he is a contact for Westside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back