Seadoo 3D...?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoosnipe

Premium Member
Premium Member
The Seadoo 3 D is becoming more and more known in the PWC community. We have about 6 or 7 members now who own these skis.

Because of the increased traffic on this fairly new ski and it being a complete different design of ski, I've asked the administrators to create your own area, to find posts with users that share a common interest in a specific ski design.

I hope this will make it easier for 3D owners to communicate since there are not that many posts for the search engine to identify among the thousands of PWC posts.

The single most one common question is the issue of leaning to the right. I'm almost at a point where I think this is a design fault since it seems so many are coming in with this problem. There have been just a couple members report that they did not have this problem.

Please, use this area for 3D issues only........:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Seadoo 3D leaning - Still No Answers.

Dear Snipe:

Thanks for creating a 3D area. This makes your forum much more functional. I have a 3D, it leans, and have heard no definite answers as to why. I bought mine brand new, from a dealer who is an old friend, and it has had this problem since day one.

I have exhausted all my considerable resources, as has my dealer-friend. I am close to selling my 3D for something better. If this is how Seadoo treats their family of customers, I am not interested in another Seadoo/Bombardier product.

Clearly this is a design flaw, so how can we get Seadoo corporate to lend a hand diagnosing, if not solving, the problem?!? They have clearly done nothing to address this (going on 5 years now...). Any recommendations and suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated by all of us 3D owners.

Sincerely,

Scott Jones
President,
Jones Medical Instrument Co.
Scott@JonesMedical.com

Yes, all of the 787 3Ds tip to the right. There is a battery relocation fix that basically solves the problem that moves the battery from the right side to the left side.

SeaDoo is aware of the problem but won't really acknowledge it. The 951 3Ds are perfectly balanced, and it is obvious that SeaDoo laid out the component placement with balance in mind as the battery is in the back left, and IMO are a much better boat. I currently own a DI and had an 04 for a few years previously and the 787 is underpowered, not because of top end but for acceleration, although it will GPS in the low 60s which is a rush standing up. The DI pulls you out of spins very quickly and will even launch out of the water.

Nice one mate. As previous posts have said, theres a big 3d comunity out there and no where to comunicate with each other.:cheers:

Ok first off I live in Canada and am extremely interested in purchasing a sea-doo 3d. First off has sea-doo discontinued the 3D model because I cannot find anything newer than the 2007 models. And as for the posts above the "952" must be the 130 hp 3D DI model correct?, And these models dont appear to have the rightside tilt problems? Only these problems occur with the 110 hp "787" models if I read correct? Any replies here would be much appreciated. These things just look too fun to be true!

Ok first off I live in Canada and am extremely interested in purchasing a sea-doo 3d. First off has sea-doo discontinued the 3D model because I cannot find anything newer than the 2007 models. And as for the posts above the "987" must be the 130 hp model?, and they dont appear to have the rightside tilt problems? Only these problems occur with the 110 hp "787" models if I read correct? Any replies here would be much appreciated. These things just look to fun to be true!

What's your location? Canada doesn't really nail it down as it is the second largest country in the world! LOL!

Chester

Alberta, but even when I hit up the Sea-Doo website I can find nothing on the 3D! Also anyone know what kinda fuel economy these things are listed at?

Like the trend with other powersport mfgs, SeaDoo no longer makes any 2 strokes, 07 was the last year.
The 3d is a fun, nimble, gonna get wet boat. Much different than the rest of the couches seadoo makes. Although, from a sales perspective, the 3D was probably their biggest flop ever.
The 06 and 07s are better with the 130 hp(951 DI motor) than the 04 and 05s with the 110hp(787 motor) in my opinion. Mostly because they accelerate much harder and pull you out of spins quicker. The top end is higher as well and will gps over 62 mph whereas the 787 will only gps around 54 mph.
The fuel economy is actually quite good when compared to other skis. The DI motor is probably the best I've ever seen for hp to fuel economy ratio, but if you've never owned a pwc, you may be in for a surprise because 10 mpg is pretty good.

Just checking in...
Own 3D DI now, owned 3D and gave to friend for help with a side job, best thing Seadoo ever made in my opinion. Fun fun pwc, where the machines now are hard to get to spin out on and feel 'too safe' these things are awesome. Mine is screwed now, possibly needing a MPEM, but I still would never think of selling it because I know it would be a pain to find another. Awesome machine, awesome thread.

Jesse

3d diagnosis

i have had three jet powered vessels over the last 30 years or so.
i have a 2005 model and have never experienced imbalance. i am 56 years old and find it a perfect old mans surfing vehicle in any of the three modes is quite big or sloppy surf in south australia with surf from the southern ocean.

i find it a bit like trying too hard to have fun on the flat water, either sea, river or lake. i have found that sometimes i get a surge which tends to flick slightly the back end to left or right. I can't see any blockage and out of the water a torch up the inlet and in the outlet does not reveal anything that might cause this problem. it can be a bit disconcerting when travelling at a medium pace and it suddenly flicks slightly one way or the other. any diagnosis?
bolton

I have an 04 3d, and it too leans, but it still runs fine and cant think of a better boat (ok..well the HX is on par!)

i just picked up an new 06 DI from the crate from a dealer in New York. Ive looked everywhere to find one and lucky i did.

if you can find one, scoop it up. theres not many out there.

not many companies will ever make something like this again (if ever), and now we only get big heavy sea couchs. sure they have tonnes of power, but you might as well just buy a jet boat!

HX - one rider - GONE
3D - one rider - GONE!

I am a proud owner of a 07 3D DI, i picked it up cheap as and with only 10hours (approx) on it, immaculate condition, balanced perfectly and at age 16 these are the best jetski, comparing to my brothers sxr800 this out performs it in any type of racing and in fuel economy i can get 4 times longer out of a tank, although he can flip easier i got the better jetski by far. :cheers:

must also add that i would like to see a 4 stroke 2cyl 3D in the future possibly turbocharged like the HSR benelli. *hint* *hint* Seadoo

you will never see seadoo make the 3D again in 2 stroke, 4 stroke, any stroke. it was considered the biggest flop in seadoo history, even worse than the hx. they are still easy to get, at least around me, and they are cheap.

Scott
I have been involved with jet ski's for some 32 years now and have seen this first in Kawasaki stand up ski's of the 80's (they also leaned)
I currently own 10 ski's and have previously owned most models including 2 3d's my current being 3Ddi

It is really quite simple
It is all about weight distribution
When the ski sits stationary in the water it has as slight tilt , this is simply because the ski is heavier on one side (exhaust)
Also note that the engine is forward of the center of the ski, this creates a forward heavy ski , which in fact Kawasaki used to create the auto return feature when you fall off. This forward weight distribution sits the hull deeper in the water at front and shalloer at rear this causes the rear of the ski to roll to the right when moving forward in the water (exhaust heavy side ) and also the more bouant rear want to pass the front.
Again Kawasaki used this feature to return the ski when you fell off.
It's all about weight and design. Kawasaki wanted it and used it Seadoo probably didn't want it but could not get around the weight of the exhaust being to one side or the weight of the engine at the front (that's the design of the 3D)
Hope this helps
I love my 3d for all the other great things it does
Regards Jetboy289

you will never see seadoo make the 3D again in 2 stroke, 4 stroke, any stroke. it was considered the biggest flop in seadoo history, even worse than the hx. they are still easy to get, at least around me, and they are cheap.

Thats pretty funny, the 2 skis i own are the 3D and the HX

yeah, they are great skis for a young person who likes to get wet but that in itself is the problem. the average young person doesn't have the money to buy a new one. the demographic they are targeting can't afford the product which is a huge marketing problem so it ends up being a failure in terms of sales.

unfortuneately, we need to face the facts. if a 50 year old man can't ride the product, it won't sell. the older male market has far and away the most disposable income which is where these luxury products are.

mine leans to the right as well. i jump a very little wave and i fall off to the right every time. im going to try relocating the battery to the left side and see if that helps. i will be very surprised if the weight of the battery alone will be enough to make a difference. i think i may need to add more weight on the left side of the hull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back