Sea-Doo Supercharger Failures

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeZ

Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR
This past Thursday, four of the superchargers that came in for rebuild that had signs of failures. They varied from washer failures to bearing failures, and so I took a few pictures to show you all. One lucky guy had a bearing failure that was contained within the housing, so no pieces dropped into the engine. The rest had parts fall down and they'll have to worry about getting those out. I know in 3 of the cases the owner was outside the 2 year or 100 hour rebuild threshold. Sorry some of these pics aren't the best; I was taking them with my cell phone between rebuilds.

Failure 1: Picture 1 had rear bearing failure and the cage let go. Luckily for this guy the bearings stayed inside the house. With the increased lateral play, there was a touchdown of the supercharger wheel as can be seen in pic 2.
supercharger-failures-01.jpgsupercharger-failures-02.jpg

Failure 2: Pics 3-7 show a major bearing failure. Both bearing cages failed, and it resulted in another touchdown. You can see major scoring on the front and rear housing from the impeller making contact. The outer race on the rear bearing is stuck in the housing (picture 5), and in picture 6 you can see some of the deformed bearings.
supercharger-failures-03.jpgsupercharger-failures-04.jpgsupercharger-failures-05.jpgsupercharger-failures-06.jpgsupercharger-failures-07.jpg

Failure 3: Pics 8 and 9 are the same supercharger, just moving components so you can see the missing washers. This is what missing clutch washers look like. You can see the gap where the gear isn't touching anything but the shaft. The friction washers relocated themselves to inside the engine.
supercharger-failures-09.jpgsupercharger-failures-08.jpg

Failure 4: In this pic we have another washer but also a gear failure. Also in this case the pieces fell into the engine.
supercharger-failures-10.jpg

Perfect examples of a little SC neglect that can turn into a huge mechanical failure.

Failure 4 is just like mine guys... after a new charger and PTO housing oil pumps and a lot more parts built by a Sea doo dealer ..and 22 hours on it. I will create a new post on the rebuild with pictures and I will need a lot of help from this forum...:(.. second time on this jet ski .. Supercharge failure I am so tired of it...

Does Yamaha or Kawi supercharger fail the same ..do they need every 100 hours or less rebuild or are they any different ?

Mine is an 09 with 65 hrs on it. Three seasons of use. I'm pulling it this winter and having it rebuilt. Just not worth having an issue. That said, I LOVE my SC'd ski and I would buy another in a heart beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Yamaha or Kawi supercharger fail the same ..do they need every 100 hours or less rebuild or are they any different ?
YamaKawi have different designs not prone to these issues.

Mine is an 09 with 65 hrs on it. Three seasons of use. I'm pulling it this winter and having it rebuilt. Just not worth having an issue. That said, I LOVE my SC'd ski and I would buy another in a heart beat.
As long as it is maintained they are reliable. With the newest rebuild kits, it's when people push that service interval that trouble tends to start.

Seeing failed parts is always a downer...especially calling the customer and explaining what happened, knowing it'll ruin their day.

The Yamaha supercharger is susceptible to failure. It's a problem they have been working on for a while. I believe 2013 was the year they finally made a decent breakthrough from the factory. The upside is that when the clutch fails on the Yamaha it generally does not cause catastrophic damage (unlike the Seadoo). If you go with an aftermarket gear dampener it virtually solves the issue.

good to know, next time I will get a yama or kawi for my new jet ski

As long as it is maintained they are reliable.

This is an optimistic way of looking at what I believe to be an absolute failure of engineering. Needing to rebuild a supercharger every 100 hours is unreasonable. Let's not kid ourselves. Sure, exceeding 100 hours now that we have the information is also unreasonable, but I refuse to accept the notion that Seadoo is no longer culpable for its crappy design simply because we've now accepted the fact that we have to pay $500 for supercharger maintenance at unreasonable intervals. Building a supercharger that can go 500 hours would've cost an additional $20 a unit at time of manufacture. The buying public deserved it and didn't get it.

What if the rod bearings were known to have issues? Would we accept that we have to replace them every 40 hours?

This is an optimistic way of looking at what I believe to be an absolute failure of engineering. Needing to rebuild a supercharger every 100 hours is unreasonable.

I can´t agree more.
I´m very negatively surprised with seadoo superchargers and what I´ve read on this forum. Like we usually say in performance industry in Brazil "looks like chocolate"... or "it can breaks easily.

Sure SeaDoo should make them much more reliable, specially for a machine made for recreation purposes, not for professionals mechanicals or enthusiasts like we are.... I would say most users are not.

Wanted to share this touchdown. This was the result of some rebuilder not properly reassembling the supercharger. Not sure who did the rebuild, but they didn't pay attention to their clearances and it resulted in the impeller being pressed against the front housing. All the pieces were in tact and nothing missing, but improper rebuilding tore up the impeller and housing...

supercharger_failure.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back