215 Supercharger Differences?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Scriz

This one is for the experts. I have a 2008 Wake 215 that has at least three years on its last supercharger rebuild. To limit downtime, I bought a second 215 supercharger so I could just swap out the supercharger in a day. I thought all 16 tooth 215 Rotax superchargers were the same, but the one I pulled from my jetski has different markings and a hole drilled in it, I am guessing for oil to lubricate the gear. The other one I bought is similar but lacks the hole, and has different numbers on it. The one I pulled is stamped with 6867 180 at the top and 2015-2 on the right side of the rear of the housing. The supercharger I bought has 867 164 stamped on the top and 2015 on the right rear. My question is can I use either, or should I rebuild the one I pulled and shelf the one I bought?
IMG_0858.jpgIMG_0856.jpg

There were minor changes between the years where they added the hole and also added an oil squirter in the pto housing. They also added bosses for the IS models to mount parts to in 2009ish. They are all interchangeable and will function fine but I do think the oiling improvements are a good thing, but I can't say that I've seen more failures on the old style versus the newer style.

Thank you for the information. I did some digging last night via ebay superchargers for sale and you were able to confirm my suspicion the early models didn't have the hold drilled. I am going to use the older one for now and since I am using the newer OEM kit just see what happens since the fear of parts desinagrating is less of a worry than if oil is being shot around. Anecdotaly, the older models also have a different head on the screws holding the two halves of the supercharger together as well. They are regular torx T30, not the e-torx. I am just happy when I pulled the supercharger all the parts were still where they were supposed to be. The ski was only getting to 6700 rpm and topping out at 55 mph so I was a bit worried.

They used those crappy 8mm/torx combo bolts for like 2 years around 07-08 which they aren't even stainless. Clearly a cost saving effort that was foolish. In saltwater they rust so bad that the heads break off and they used them in several places on the engine. They switched back to the stainless etorx thank goodness. Every time I see those they end up in the garbage and get replaced with stainless etorx.

They used those crappy 8mm/torx combo bolts for like 2 years around 07-08 which they aren't even stainless. Clearly a cost saving effort that was foolish. In saltwater they rust so bad that the heads break off and they used them in several places on the engine. They switched back to the stainless etorx thank goodness. Every time I see those they end up in the garbage and get replaced with stainless etorx.
That is good to know. I will grab a set of newer ones for the rebuild. One of the previous owners switched out one of the supercharger retaining bolts with some mild steal 10mm that felt seconds from snapping off when I removed it so I have to get some new ones anyway.

Back