Sea doo GTX 787 - starting when I hook up battery

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhams

My 1997 Sea Doo GTX 787 wasn’t starting so I replaced the rectifier. Nothing. Replaced battery. Nothing. Checked fuses all A-OK.

Today I replaced the starter solenoid and the ski fired right up. Hooray! Went for a ten minute ride. Everything seemed fine. Turned off ski at the dock and I heard something running - almost sounded like a fan. I pulled the key but it kept running. I quickly disconnected the battery and it stopped. When I hooked battery back up the ski started on its own. And this is without a key or me hitting the start switch. It is starting when I hook up the battery.

Where does this leave me - bad solenoid?? I just replaced it. Any thoughts?

Hmmmm..... check your wires. Are they on the correct side of the solenoid? The small red wire should not be on the battery side. You could be getting power to the solenoid wires holding it engaged.

So I unplugged the connector to the solenoid and plugged it back in. Hooked battery back up and it did not start up. I put the key in, hit the start button, and the ski started right up.

Interesting?!? Maybe solenoid was stuck in open position? Not sure but it seemed to do the trick for now.

How many times did you try it? It's gonna do it again... the gremlins are lurking for the most opportune time. :D :D Good Luck.

It's unlikely that your start stop switch is sticking in the on position, but that your selenoid it stuck/sticking in the on position, you may want to remove the starter bendix because the teeth may have worn off.

So I unplugged the connector to the solenoid and plugged it back in. Hooked battery back up and it did not start up. I put the key in, hit the start button, and the ski started right up.

Interesting?!? Maybe solenoid was stuck in open position? Not sure but it seemed to do the trick for now.
Very interesting.....hooking the battery up and the ski started means the solenoid posts were "connected" in some way.

In order for a ski to start: it Basically Needs,
battery power
push start / stop button
Mpem sees Start/Stop button push (switch is now closed )..it is normally open
Mpem sends signal down Yellow/red wire to solenoid to "connect" both posts
Battery power flows to starter to turn ski over
Fuel to feed the engine

So, in your case.....hooking up the battery and the ski starting meant.....either the solenoid was stuck closed to allow battery power directly to the starter OR the Start/stop button was stuck closed (temporarily) which allowed the mpem to signal the solenoid to close once the mpem saw battery power. The only other possibility is some internal corrosion in a connector caused a short to the solenoid and allowed the solenoid to close once it saw battery power.

In any case, personally, I'd go through all the connectors and wiring to clean all connections up....22 year old skis need some love and attention.

Small gage red wire DOES go on battery side of solenoid. It’s from the rectifier to charge the battery.

Small gage red wire DOES go on battery side of solenoid. It’s from the rectifier to charge the battery.
That is AFFIRMATIVE.....probably a Red/purple wire on the battery side of the solenoid....if the rectifier is putting out proper voltage that wire should carry anywhere from 13.5 to 14.6 volts DC (depending on which manual you read) back to the battery to keep it "charged", while the ski is running.

That is AFFIRMATIVE.....probably a Red/purple wire on the battery side of the solenoid....if the rectifier is putting out proper voltage that wire should carry anywhere from 13.5 to 14.6 volts DC (depending on which manual you read) back to the battery to keep it "charged", while the ski is running.
There should also be a fuse (15 amp) in that wire path as well....

Small red wire is attached to left post of solenoid. I have confirmed this is the correct position.

Attachments

• 5C62496C-56CF-4E0F-A21D-D8443ABEB1EC.jpeg
    5C62496C-56CF-4E0F-A21D-D8443ABEB1EC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back