RXT instrument cluster & relay always on

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbam

My RXT had been sitting for a while and the battery was dead. I put a charger on it while it was still connected. Looking back that was probably a bad thing to do :(

So I did disconnected the battery and finished charging it.

Now whenever I connect the battery I can hear a relay click on and the instrument cluster goes live. If I put the lanyard on it beeps like normal, starts and shuts off fine. But cluster does not. And it sits there beeping every few seconds.

I have a bad feeling I toasted the ECM, am I right?

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What happens if you disconnect the battery, then hook it back up? Is the cluster off? Then slowly bring the key to the post, but don't snap it on. will the electronics power up, & then back off it you pull it away? The magnet in the key is supposed to toggle a reed switch in the post that triggers a power relay near the fuse block. could the relay be stuck? I know in the older skis, that relay is replaceable, I am not 100% sure how it functions, or if its removable on the late models.

The beeping tells me your electronics are all staying powered up, not just the cluster. Hopefully its just the lanyard post, or the relay. Depending on your electronic trouble shooting capabilities, you should be able to unplug the harness to the post & check the switch with a multimeter.

What happens if you disconnect the battery, then hook it back up? Is the cluster off? Then slowly bring the key to the post, but don't snap it on. will the electronics power up, & then back off it you pull it away? The magnet in the key is supposed to toggle a reed switch in the post that triggers a power relay near the fuse block. could the relay be stuck? I know in the older skis, that relay is replaceable, I am not 100% sure how it functions, or if its removable on the late models.

The beeping tells me your electronics are all staying powered up, not just the cluster. Hopefully its just the lanyard post, or the relay. Depending on your electronic trouble shooting capabilities, you should be able to unplug the harness to the post & check the switch with a multimeter.

It's on immediately.

That is very helpful, thanks!!

I am actually very good with electronics so I will do that asap!!

Very Cool!

Download the service manual from seadoo manuals dot net, (if you didn't already) look at the wiring diagrams & locate the post. should have 3 or 4 wires & the pin & plug location will be listed. not sure what years had which. But then you could unplug the battery, pull the plug from the ECM & see if the reed switch is opening & closing when you bring the key to the post. If it opens & closes correctly, hopefully then its a stuck relay. I think you can get away with charging a battery provided the lanyard key is never installed at the same time. I do it all the time with a 1.5A charger/maintainer

hopefully the problem is just a coincidence with the battery charging. Maybe this is why your battery went dead in the first place??

Very Cool!

Download the service manual from seadoo manuals dot net, (if you didn't already) look at the wiring diagrams & locate the post. should have 3 or 4 wires & the pin & plug location will be listed. not sure what years had which. But then you could unplug the battery, pull the plug from the ECM & see if the reed switch is opening & closing when you bring the key to the post. If it opens & closes correctly, hopefully then its a stuck relay. I think you can get away with charging a battery provided the lanyard key is never installed at the same time. I do it all the time with a 1.5A charger/maintainer

hopefully the problem is just a coincidence with the battery charging. Maybe this is why your battery went dead in the first place??

I got the manual, and looking at the diagram there is a connector between the post & the ECM. Any idea where it is? I looked under the glove box but none of the connectors seem to match.

If your checking the magnetic switch on the post, just unplug the harness from the ECU & check it there. No point in tearing the ski apart just yet. the pins are all labeled on the wiring diagram & the plugs have the pin numbers on them too.

What year is the RXT? I worked on an 05 that had the same issue. If you took the DESS key (lanyard) off the ski it stayed powered up and would beep. The problem was the reed in the DESS post. It stuck in the energized position. You couldn't start the ski because the code was not there from the key but it was powered up because the reed was in the energized position. You had to disconnect the battery so it didn't kill it. I replaced the DESS post and it worked perfect again. It's not overly common, but it does happen.

I was finally able to do some more troubleshooting today. The DSS post is fine, black & black/yellow no continuity with cap off. As soon as I connect the battery the TOPS valve clicks and a few seconds later the instrument cluster is live.

Aside from this it runs fine, and removing the DSS cap does kill the engine but the cluster won't turn off.

This is a 2004 RXT, where is the power supply cutoff relay? Is it inside the MPEM and is it serviceable? I know it's a long shot but is it possible the relay is stuck closed? I cannot imagine how that could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back