RXDI needs help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobC

I have a 2003 RXDI that I am trying to bring back to life. Tasks complete so far:

Engine rebuild by SES
New fuel pump rebuild - tested and pressure good at 107
Cleaned and tested fuel injectors
New rectifier - a steady 13.5 volts when running on the hose
New plug wire caps

So here is the problem. I clean everything including raves, fuel injectors and install new spark plugs. It runs great on the lake for about 20-30 minutes before it starts bogging down, losing power, and then eventually wont start. I pull plugs and raves and it is a watery/oily mess and the plugs are black. I am particularly concerned about the water droplets on the raves. I have done this exercise twice now. I am thinking this issue is what caused the engine to go bad originally. I am new to the jet ski world and I am out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated. I am going to try and attach the pics here.file-5.jpgfile1-3.jpgfile2-2.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I did call SES first and his opinion was the exhaust manifold to pipe connection. I have the newer o ring gasket which he mentioned had problems. His advice was to get an older exhaust manifold off eBay that uses the paper gasket. Compression on both cylinders is 125 cold. If it is the head gasket would it be as simple as just pulling the head and replacing gasket? Just trying to get some other opinions before i sink anymore coin in this money pit!

The only problems I have ever experienced with exhaust manifold gaskets are the older style with out the O ring and they tend to leak into the hull and not the cylinders.
Do you have the rubber flaps surrounding the throttle body inlets to prevent water injestion?

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 I too have seen the older ones leak. All of the newer ones with the o-rings have been fine.

Compression should be 130 on a new engine and I would still suspect the head gasket unless you can see wherever the exhaust is spraying water.

If it is the head gasket only then changing it would be fairly simple. You will need to make sure you have the correct gasket as different year models are not the same.
You will also need to insure that the head and cylinders mating surface is good and not pitted or corroded.

Can you elaborate on the rubber flap surrounding throttle body inlet please? Not sure what I am looking for. Also, when I installed the exhaust gaskets (2 paper ones on motor and the o ring to the black pipe) should I have used any sealer?

No, the gaskets and o-ring go on dry.

Seadoo makes a diaper that goes around that joint so that if it leaks the water will not spray into the intake and the carbs. You should have a rubber flap on the manifold that covers each of the two intake snorkels.

I think I found the rubber flaps and they are both installed. I guess I will start with head gasket. I see SBT sells one, should I use any sealer on this or dry also? Any trick to pulling the head off and re-installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back