Rotella 15w-40 oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TOMJ

I know the oil question has been beat to death, BUT.
I am new to Sea Doo maintenance and last fall I changed the oil in my sister's 2006 GTI SE and used the Sea Doo oil.
She had always had the dealer do the maintenance while it was under warrenty.
This weekend I will be changing the oil in her Yamaha F115 outboard. I have done some research and will be using Shell Rotella 15w-40.
It would be nice to be able to use the same oil in both the Yamaha & the Sea Doo.

So, anybody using Shell Rotella 15W-40 in a non-supercharged 'Doo?
How about Rotella T6 5w-40 full synth?
The Sea Doo is located in central GA and it does get hot, it is not ridden in cold weather so cold starts are not an issue.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't rotella designed for diesels? I remember my dad using it in his old powerstroke ford.

Isn't rotella designed for diesels? I remember my dad using it in his old powerstroke ford.

Rotella is a heavy duty engine oil, not just for diesel engines.
It has lots of zinc, which is good for the cam and lots of detergent additives.
It is very sheer stable and that's good in the high reving Rotax engine.
I know Rotella is a good oil, I know nothing about the Sea Doo oil except that there are better oils out there that cost half as much and are more redily available.

Just wondering if anyone is using either the T6 5w-40 full synth or the 15w-40 dino oil.
I am an avid motorcycle enthusiest (spelling?) and I know LOTS of folks use Rotella oil in bikes and have for years.

I think I would stick to the weight brp recommends. You are only talking 20 bucks, why go against the recommendations.

Tom, Rotella 15W-40 is what is recommended for big truck diesel engines by Cummins, Mack and Catapiller as I recall from when I owned 18 wheelers. It's designed for large low RPM diesel engines, I wouldn't consider putting it in a small high rpm gasoline powered engine... it's not worth saving a few dollars a year in oil compared to the cost of replacing your entire engine. Go with the oils BRP recommends for these Rotax engines, or else don't complain about BRP's "crappy" watercraft if your engine blows up or starts a knockin.

Regards and good luck.

- Michael

Tom, Rotella 15W-40 is what is recommended for big truck diesel engines by Cummins, Mack and Catapiller as I recall from when I owned 18 wheelers. It's designed for large low RPM diesel engines, I wouldn't consider putting it in a small high rpm gasoline powered engine... it's not worth saving a few dollars a year in oil compared to the cost of replacing your entire engine. Go with the oils BRP recommends for these Rotax engines, or else don't complain about BRP's "crappy" watercraft if your engine blows up or starts a knockin.

Regards and good luck.

- Michael

Rotella makes more then just 15W-40. I've used it for years in my BMW bikes. My 07 GS ADV 1200 has 135,000 miles with it and my BMW 09 S 1000rr has run it for 2 years (71,000 miles) and it spins at 14,000 RPM. My 07 Dakar 650 (82,000 miles)uses it too and it's a Rotax power plant. My 3 1200cc Rotax powered Skidoo sleds use it also and their always are ridden like their stolen ( 6500-82000 rpm). I use it in all three diesels I have and my wifes 89 1.8 liter VW Cabby used it since day one and will be turning 650,000 shortly. The GTI SE 155 I just bought will be running it as soon as I do the 10 hr service. The owners manuel for my 2011 calls for 5W-40 API SM. To call it just a diesel oil is foolish. It is a great heavy duty oil with good old zinc.

I didn't say that the Rotella brand is a diesel only brand, just that particular Rotella formulation. But to each their own.

- Michael

I just put the Rotella syn in my Speedster after reading reviews. I have a friend at work that treats his machines better than his wife and he swore by it. It's no BS on my side it just sounds crisper when its running. The engines are just hummin'.

The sheer and wear characteristics along with the added zinc make it a very good choice for the Rotax engines. I've heard nothing bad about it. The BRP oil is too expensive, plain and simple. It's just them creating a revenue stream back into their dealerships. That's just business and I understand that.

I just put the Rotella syn in my Speedster after reading reviews. I have a friend at work that treats his machines better than his wife and he swore by it. It's no BS on my side it just sounds crisper when its running. The engines are just hummin'.

The sheer and wear characteristics along with the added zinc make it a very good choice for the Rotax engines. I've heard nothing bad about it. The BRP oil is too expensive, plain and simple. It's just them creating a revenue stream back into their dealerships. That's just business and I understand that.

Now THAT is what I wanted to hear.
I did a lot of reading on the Bob is the oil guy forum and it seemed to me that either of the Rotellas would be a good oil for the Sea Doo.
I am active on a couple of motorcycle forums and a lot of riders have used the 15w-40 for years and a few use the new T6 full synth.
I have used the T6 for the last 8,000 mile or so in my VTX1300 myself.
Thanks.

Rotella makes more then just 15W-40. I've used it for years in my BMW bikes. My 07 GS ADV 1200 has 135,000 miles with it and my BMW 09 S 1000rr has run it for 2 years (71,000 miles) and it spins at 14,000 RPM. My 07 Dakar 650 (82,000 miles)uses it too and it's a Rotax power plant. My 3 1200cc Rotax powered Skidoo sleds use it also and their always are ridden like their stolen ( 6500-82000 rpm). I use it in all three diesels I have and my wifes 89 1.8 liter VW Cabby used it since day one and will be turning 650,000 shortly. The GTI SE 155 I just bought will be running it as soon as I do the 10 hr service. The owners manuel for my 2011 calls for 5W-40 API SM. To call it just a diesel oil is foolish. It is a great heavy duty oil with good old zinc.

I know a lot of riders have used the 15w-40 for years and some have switched to the new T6 full synth 5w-40.
I have used the T6 in my VTX1300 for the last 8,000 miles or so.
Thanks.

I see were your coming from but remember if you ride your bike at 8000 rpms
like a ski your going to crash in 40 seconds your bike wont see 10% what a ski sees
if you can own a ski you should be able to aford the recomended oil

I see were your coming from but remember if you ride your bike at 8000 rpms
like a ski your going to crash in 40 seconds your bike wont see 10% what a ski sees
if you can own a ski you should be able to aford the recomended oil

His bike might not be at those R's much but my Rotax 1200 triple powered skidoo sleds do all the time. If I ride with my fast group of friends I use my clutch set up that engages @ 6200 rpm and runs to 8200 rpm instead of the stock 2700 engagement rpm. I've run my sleds across Lake Gogebic WFO for 17 miles countless times a day. There's nothing like a 104 mph run to clear the head lol. If you're a non believer I would suggest you send your old oil to Blackstone labs and have it analyzed, you will be pleasantly surprised. For $25 you can find out what really is going on inside your engine. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

There is a lot of great information if you want to take the time to look for it. I too looked at the Bob the Oil Guy website . To each his own. I know nobody is knockin anyone but in my case it had nothing to do with money or what I could afford. I was using Mobil 1 for wet clutch performance since the 10 hour change. A BRP tech himself told me that was a better option if I wanted to change. Its all about choice and it can go on forever what is or isn't right.

I think what I'm doing with the T6 is the best choice. IMO most of the oils are of a high quality and it's unlikely to see a purely oil related failure in these engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back