Ride Plate/heat Exchanger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajack

It is my understanding that the rideplate (intake grate) acts as a heat exchanger using lake water to cool the closed cooling system coolant. How does the engine coolant contact the heat exchanger? Is there a diagram online that shows the routing of the coolant from the engine to the ride plate? I have a 2017 GTI 90.

It is my understanding that the rideplate (intake grate) acts as a heat exchanger using lake water to cool the closed cooling system coolant. How does the engine coolant contact the heat exchanger? Is there a diagram online that shows the routing of the coolant from the engine to the ride plate? I have a 2017 GTI 90.

I'm referencing my 2017 Spark with the Polytec hull with a closed loop cooling system, so I would imagine the GTI is probably similar....anyway, underneath the ski are probably 2 aluminum rails set into the hull, one of those rails is the heat exchanger (just like a car radiator), the other rail is just a hunk of aluminum to balance the ski. The radiator has 2 ports that pass through the bottom of the hull that connect to the closed loop cooling system hoses. As the ski circulates coolant through the engine block, exhaust, etc.....the coolant then also flows through the aluminum radiator (sitting in the water) to exchange the engine heat with the water.

So, in theory, the ski can start to overheat if the water is really warm and you remain at idle for an extended period....the ski really needs to be moving through water to stay cool inside.

Sorry, I don't have a diagram of the system, but it's pretty straight forward.

I don't think the intake grate is part of the cooling system, unless Seadoo got cute and somehow combined the two functions....but it seems unlikely (although I have been wrong before and I am not afraid to admit that - that IS how we learn after all).

One big perk with the closed loop cooling system is that it can be controlled to keep the engine at a perfect temperature at all times. Where the open loop system can not. So if it’s extra hot that day the water will be extra warm too. Warmer water for an open loop system means the engine runs warmer which relates to you burning more gas and do more damage in the long run to the engine. Due to the nature of a closed loop system, warmer days have no effect on the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back