2005 Seadoo RXT Rebuild Anyone?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

edin3000gt

I have a 2005 Seadoo RXT that only ran for about 5 minutes on a new to me used eBay engine before locking up. Today I took the ski out and under full open throttle it turned off. After further inspection I’m thinking it needs a full rebuild. Read below and let me know your thoughts.

I purchased a ski that had a rod go through the crankcase. I pulled the old motor and ordered a new to me but used engine from eBay. The engine turned over great and passed all my visual inspections. I removed the valve cover to inspect for play but did not pull the head to inspect head gasket or crankcase to inspect crank etc.

I moved over the supercharger, oil cooler, oil pump. I cleaned these well with transmission fluid and air. I’m thinking this could be part of the current problem.

After everything was back together. I started the ski in my garage and it ran very well. Only ran it for 2 minutes, I had the hose connected to exhaust as this is a closed cooling ski. Inspected oil, coolant and all the levels were good.

Today I took it to the lake and it useless perfectly I let it warm up for about 10 min and during this time I watched watched the engine temp which stayed at 100*F a bit odd as I was expecting it to get warmer. After slowely easing into the throttle I went wide open and that’s when it turned off.

I came back home pulled the plugs (white on the bottom) and took the intake grate off and tried to rotate the shaft as the starter would not do it. It is nearly impossible to spin the main shaft going to impeller. After working on it a bit I was able to get one full revolution of the shaft, but not enough to get it to continually spin as it hits a hard point in each direction.

At this point I’m looking for a mechanic in the St. Louis, MO area that would be a able to further diagnose the engine and potentially do a full rebuild.

Let me know your thoughts or if you know any reputable places in St. Louis.

Last edited:
That's why you don't buy a used engine on ebay. If you had a perfectly running engine in a ski, would you take the engine out and sell it? Makes no sense with the high value of skis currently.

Just pull the motor and tear it down. I'm guessing you bought a motor that they knew had problems and wouldn't last long.

There is no engine temp on the gauge. That is Exterior temp.

Are you confident there is no interference between the impeller and wear ring?

Did you try to engage the starter with the plugs out?

If there was a lot of oil remaining in the air intake system, accelerating hard might suck the oil into the engine causing hydro lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back