Retrofit a reverse onto a 90 SP?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusthawk

My 90 SP doesn't have a reverse on it and in some of the places I might need to take it, a reverse would be a great advantage. Is there a way to retrofit a reverse system onto this older model?

Wow, that could be an undertaking project Jeff. You would need a gate assy. plus I think the jet pump assy. The whole jet pump assy is different to accommodate the reverse gate. Than the cable and attaching items...you could look at a newer model and compare the differences of the 2 models for your self, as a premium member. Good luck...or you could buy a paddle and use it if you get in a jam..lol
Karl

The reason I was thinking of it is because I will be using it as a Coast Guard Auxiliary Facility in my area and while I can carry extinguishers and floatation devices, the one consern is towing. There are a lot of narrow canals and such in the area I live and some are too narrow for even a SeaDoo to get turned around that some boats use for fishing. I might be able to manually turn around with the reeds but I thought a reverse would make things easier if I could just reverse to the borken down boat to tow it out and home.

Well good reason...but it would be a project and quite expensive. Uh,... time for new seadoo...lol

I just got this one and not even in the water yet. I still owe $130 on it, lolol.

If a reverse isn't cost effective, I'll just have to mount up a bracket to hold a paddle in case it's needed. I already need to mount a couple of other brackets, one for a hand held VHF radio and another for a first aid kit. I have three extinguishers and a couple of floatation devices and a line with a monkeyfist for throwing in the storage compartment, so need someplace to put more equipment. I will also be reinforcing the tow ring to be able to pull larger boats, just in case.

Yeks..sound like you need a tow behind just for all the gear. Don't mind my humor, I always look on the light side of things. $130.00 left isn't bad for your ride.

I thought so, I agreed to $200 for the purchase. Gave the guy $70 and he said done deal. He has no clue about any kind of watercraft so was happy to part with it for what he got it for. He bought it from a friend who needed money for car repairs, and while he said he had it running in it's current configuration, I woulkdn't trust my life to how cribbed it was. I am redoing all the fuel lines and installing a new fuel pump. There is a new inline filter so I think I can get away with not running more line to the filter next to the pump.

The biggest chore to do will be going through with a multimeter and checking all the wiring in there for continuity and proper resistances.

I can't afford a full sized boat to utilize along with my Auxliliary duties, so this is the next best thing. I want to make this as dependable as possible.

Multimeter...

Well, when you get to the testing, if you have any problems, let us know. We'll try and help you out best we can!....

for what you are doing, you really want a 3-seat ski. old 2-seaters aren't real stable until moving. and when you are towing with a jet ski, you aren't going very fast. if you have to load a passenger on and then tow, everybody is gonna be swimming home.

my dad and i put a reverse on my 1990 GT and it wasnt that big of a project you will just need the nozzel and the reverse gate, the handle and the linkages of a ski that has reverse and everything basically bolts in, you do have to do some drilling into ur hull for the handle.

Dusthawk,
I have the entire reverse assembly from a GTX I will be listing on ebay soon. (this week)

all you will need is the nozzle, reverse gate and the cable and handle. Your pump is the same. The nozzle just removes with 4 13mm bolts.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back