Reserve Tank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDGray

I’ve been told to try and avoid using the reserve tank on my 98 GTX. This is so not as to get any ‘sludge’ in the carbs. Can anyone validate this for me?

When my fuel gets to 1 bar on the digital gauge and the ‘fuel low’ warning comes on, I tend to pull the ski from the water and call it a day – My question is: Am I cutting my fun short unnecessarily?

Does anything happen to the fuel gauge when I flick to the reserve tank? i.e. does it indicate how much I have in my reserve tank?

I want to keep my ‘Doo in top condition as I bought it with a rebuilt and mainly new engine. Any advice appreciated!

The fuel is bouncing around all the time. It doesn't matter if you use the reserve tank or not. It just lets you know that the fuel is getting low. It's better to have some in reserve than just run out.

Karl

Thanks for the quick reply Karl.

So, when I switch on th reserve, which should be 3 Gallons, then should the fuel gauge state how much is left from then on? Or, is it just a case of a few more laps and then call it a day as I am unable to tell how much fuel is left - except for getting off the ski, taking the storage bin out, and then looking at the tank?

If I sputter out with the selector at ON, I use my RES and head back to refuel. I don't jack around with this (especially on a 7 gallon HX fuel tank:ack:).

And three gallons sloshing around the bottom of the GTX tank is pretty shallow by any account. So bouncing around and playing in RES sucks up air and it simply rolling the dice.

By the way, the RES pickup is right next to the ON pickup in the same baffle tube. So if you are worried about picking up junk in the tank, both tubes are effectively sucking up the same stuff anyway. The ON pick up is on the right side of the photo below while the RES pickup is on the left. The round screen is shared by both pick ups at the bottom of the baffle tube.

Apparently the pix at putfile.com aren't available anymore so I am posting a couple of pix to go with this post to complete it.
In my case the screen and float fell off and were in the bottom of tank. I took opportunity to siphon fuel/drain and remove tank to clean out the junk.

Attachments

• BaffleParts.JPG
    BaffleParts.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 31
  • empty baffle.JPG
    empty baffle.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 30
The fuel is bouncing around all the time. It doesn't matter if you use the reserve tank or not. It just lets you know that the fuel is getting low. It's better to have some in reserve than just run out.

Karl

So, when I switch on th reserve, which should be 3 Gallons, then should the fuel gauge state how much is left from then on? Or, is it just a case of a few more laps and then call it a day as I am unable to tell how much fuel is left - except for getting off the ski, taking the storage bin out, and then looking at the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back