Replacement Rock Grate

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
the "Rock grate" wasn't the factory grate. Your boat should have the hydro-surge grate. But post a pic of what you have, and we will help.

Yeah, I guess it's the hydro-surge. The tines are hinged to allow movement. It completely broke apart when I removed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced the hydro-surge grate on our Challenger with a fixed grate we got off eBay. If you want another hydro-surge and they are the same, I could dig mine out of the garage.

Thanks, but I want to get rid of the hydro-surge... it's crap. I think there is a stainless steel one, but not 100% sure. If anyone can chime in on this with a part#, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I replaced the hydro-surge grate on our Challenger with a fixed grate we got off eBay. If you want another hydro-surge and they are the same, I could dig mine out of the garage.

They should be the same.

As far as I can tell.... the 90 and 120 use the same parts... then the 175-240 use the same parts. The newer 250 was a 3.0l engine... so I'm not 100% sure the pump parts are interchangeable.

Part Numbers:

6-Tine Cast Aluminum Inlet Grate - P/N 852962T
11-Tine Stainless Steel Rock Grate - P/N 854810T1

These parts are the same for all of the 2.5L variants (200HP, 210HP, 240HP) and the 3.0L 250HP pump.

Hey Murph.

Glad to see you are still alive.

The Rock grate is good... but it's so fine, that it plugs up quicker. (There is always a give and take) Personally... I don't think the hydro-surge is that bad. BUT... you have to keep an eye on it. First sign of corrosion, or a bent tine... it needs replaced.

Here's my modified rock grate. (Murph sent me a busted up one)

I did the 6-tine Cast Aluminum. Keep a saved search on Ebay, and it will let you know when they pop up. Anywhere from $45 to $80 shipped.

Good luck!

I ordered a SCREEN-Inlet 852962T ( ALUMINUM 6-TINE) @ $156 - for my 2003 utopia & got to test it....

Last year I was getting 47.5 mph (gps) and so far this year I am only reaching 43 mph. Havent had a perfect glass-smooth day, but close enough. I did make some other minor changes - trim plate, and even JB welded the wear ring; but I think I am blaming to top end loss on the rock grate.

Go with stainless is my two cents.

I also bought and installed the 6 tine aluminum grate early last season. However, I have not experienced any loss in performance at all. My top end was 50 with the hydro surge and it stayed that way. I have a Challenger 1800 with the 210. Either way I would recommend replacing the hydro surge grate. Too risky.

Part Numbers:

6-Tine Cast Aluminum Inlet Grate - P/N 852962T
11-Tine Stainless Steel Rock Grate - P/N 854810T1

These parts are the same for all of the 2.5L variants (200HP, 210HP, 240HP) and the 3.0L 250HP pump.

These are the part numbers. The M2 jet pump is the same for all versions of the mercury engine 200/210/240/250, there is an adaptor plate that connects each engine to the pump housing but the pump housing parts are all the same. Right now there is the stainless steel grate on e-bay for $189+$15 shipping, the aluminum goes for $165+shipping on boats.net. Here is a picture of the SS one as the ebay listing does not have a picture.IMG_20120817_181906.jpg. The SS grate will get clogged if you boat where there is floating seaweed, not a big issue with warm water, easy to remove the seaweed but after a few stops it is annoying to have to get in and out. If you boat on a shallow river I would not think twice of getting the SS grate. I replaced mine with an aluminum grate and did not get an increase nor decrease in the boat performance. Either of them are better than the hydro-surge.

Eddie

I ordered a SCREEN-Inlet 852962T ( ALUMINUM 6-TINE) @ $156 - for my 2003 utopia & got to test it....

Last year I was getting 47.5 mph (gps) and so far this year I am only reaching 43 mph. Havent had a perfect glass-smooth day, but close enough. I did make some other minor changes - trim plate, and even JB welded the wear ring; but I think I am blaming to top end loss on the rock grate.

Go with stainless is my two cents.

Air sniper. You say you made a "minor" change to your trim plate. What did you do to it? An increase in the deflection of the trim plate will impact the speed of the boat. Two years ago I took mine off and bent it in the brake at work. The bend helped smooth out the ride but I lost 5 mph and burned more gas. I ended up taking the bend back out and installing trim tabs. The speed is back as long as I don't have to lower the tabs too far.

Well, minor is relative, I was more suggeting that I didn't believe it had an effect...

I put in the Place Diverter Hydraulic trim package. Even in full up position -Wich is "less than flush" I lost speed. I also added a smartcraft monitor which should have no effect, so I am confused about the loss of top-end speed.

I am going to take another look at the trim plate alignment, seems the right side is about 3/8" higher than the left - and she plulls to the left a bit in all trim settings. Havent had the smooth water to do some real science yet though. Not sure now what caused the decrease in speed after the comments above about the rock grate not effecting others.

BTW, the place diverter is awesome & really helps in chop and at low (ski/tube) speeds. There will be more to come on the diverter, got some more tinkering to do. Thinking about putting an ammeter gage to help determine full-up & full-down positions, Tim Place is supposed to call me back. We'll see what happens, I will report on it when the science is complete.

So you have the lenco system....what happens if you say...lower the left trim tab & not the right? Pulls left or right???

My tab is slightly cocked left-trailing edge down. I can & will adjust, just curious of that would cause pull-left condition or "push-right". There is plenty of adjustment availabe to go, figure I could at least level it - but not sure if this is going to help or hurt.

Air sniper did you do any adjusting on the place diverter tab. I have a 2004 challenger 2000. I have had conversation with Paul and his experience with PD. The transom of a 1800 challenger and a 2000 are very different and the Lenco trim tabs will not work on a 2000 challenger. I am considering extending the ride plate by 4 inches. Really interested on how your testing is going.

I did adjust the lollipops on the actuators - right side down & left up - and that did help a small amount. There were only a few turns of adjustment, I am as adjusted as possible.
Although helpful, I still have a significant pull to the left. under calm conditions, typically I need 90 degrees of right steer to stay straight. I tried discussing with Tim Place, but he never called back. Having the optimum trim angle reduces pulling, but it is still prominent. The trim makes the ride 100% better, I will live with the pulling & not regret. perhaps an offset-tab would help or there may be other options. I am happy with the result, even if it not perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back