Repainting 96 xp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexdecker2

After looking at all your guys restoration threads, it makes me want to do this to my own ski but I am curious what is all involved? Besides wet sanding, patching if needed and painting im not quite sure what kinda products are needed. Could anyone give me a rundown on what products to use, where to get them, steps involved, all the good stuff.

I have never done painting like this before. In fact i am not sure i would do the painting, i would probably let my wife do it. She did her 4 wheeler and it turned out very nice. All she used was plastidip also, i was very impressed but im sure thats not the same thing to use for this. I plan on doing the top and bottom of the ski. I havent decided on color yet, as this is something that just came to my mind.

Any advice helps. Thanks!

Speaking from my personal experience on my build thread that is currently active. If AT ALL possible do gelcoat. It looks and holds up 100x better

I'd recommend gelcoat, but disregard my message below if you want to paint, that's fairly easy, strip ski, prep, tape off, mix 2 part paint, set the gun up and spray. Boom, you're done. Gelcoat is all in the finishing, sanding, polishing, etc. Much more work, but worth it.

If you have patience, and you'll need plenty, gelcoat is the way to go if want the best durability. Brushable gelcoat is available from a company called FGCI coatings.com. Ships with the catalyst MEKP, I rolled it on, several coats are needed because of all the sanding needed afterward to get it smooth. I had never messed with gelcoat before, it was a little trial and error at first, but got it down now. I did a full top and bottom gelcoat application on a 97' GTX resto. And now during this off season a 96' GSX, partial on the bottom full application on the top. Roll on, sand, sand, sand, then after final sand at 2000 grit, 3M products with compound, glaze and wax. Helps to have a small air sander when wet sanding and a digital buffer to do the polishing.

Below is the pic on the GTX after many months and countless hours, much more surface area than an X4 hull like the 96' XP. Shouldn't be too bad on that hull if you decide to go that route with gelcoat.

Again, ignore my reply if it's not the way you want to go messing with gelcoat, but if you do, I'll be glad to guide you how I did it and answer any questions.

Attachments

• P5060209.JPG
    P5060209.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20190203_112136.jpg
    20190203_112136.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
First off what condition is the ski in? If at all possible avoid painting and gel coat. If it’s salvageable just sand and buff and enjoy the ski. Spend your money getting it running and reliable.

First off what condition is the ski in? If at all possible avoid painting and gel coat. If it’s salvageable just sand and buff and enjoy the ski. Spend your money getting it running and reliable.

I think he's getting ideas of work involved if going for a custom look, he mentions changing color, etc. Keeping these skis a stock dated 90's look can be boring... Why not add some flair and personality? Like anything else, street cars, custom motorcycles, etc, it's more than just riding.

it jsut depends what you want and your after. If you want a step by step go look at my build on my spx. it even shows you how to build a paint booth and what i did.

Runs good, 155 psi both cylinders, completely replacing/rebuilding/cleaning fuel system and oil system now and have rebuilt the drive system. The painting is something i want to do to make it my own. I am thinking of doing a yellow/purple combo somehow.

I'd recommend gelcoat, but disregard my message below if you want to paint, that's fairly easy, strip ski, prep, tape off, mix 2 part paint, set the gun up and spray. Boom, you're done. Gelcoat is all in the finishing, sanding, polishing, etc. Much more work, but worth it.

If you have patience, and you'll need plenty, gelcoat is the way to go if want the best durability. Brushable gelcoat is available from a company called FGCI coatings.com. Ships with the catalyst MEKP, I rolled it on, several coats are needed because of all the sanding needed afterward to get it smooth. I had never messed with gelcoat before, it was a little trial and error at first, but got it down now. I did a full top and bottom gelcoat application on a 97' GTX resto. And now during this off season a 96' GSX, partial on the bottom full application on the top. Roll on, sand, sand, sand, then after final sand at 2000 grit, 3M products with compound, glaze and wax. Helps to have a small air sander when wet sanding and a digital buffer to do the polishing.

Below is the pic on the GTX after many months and countless hours, much more surface area than an X4 hull like the 96' XP. Shouldn't be too bad on that hull if you decide to go that route with gelcoat.

Again, ignore my reply if it's not the way you want to go messing with gelcoat, but if you do, I'll be glad to guide you how I did it and answer any questions.

What is MEKP? Sounds like the process isnt hard, just time consuming. Time isnt much of a problem. How much paint did you need to do your ski? I know mine i will be less. Looking at doing a yellow/purple combo. I havent quite figured out in my head what i want to do yet so that could change.

What is MEKP? Sounds like the process isnt hard, just time consuming. Time isnt much of a problem. How much paint did you need to do your ski? I know mine i will be less. Looking at doing a yellow/purple combo. I havent quite figured out in my head what i want to do yet so that could change.

MEKP is the catalyst for the gelcoat, you mix it according to directions based on ambient temp and so forth. I do about a pint at a time because you only have about 10 minutes to apply after mixing in the catalyst. See my thread on the 1996 GSX, I'll be applying the white on topside within the next week or so.

Attachments

• 20190210_183121.jpg
    20190210_183121.jpg
    877.8 KB · Views: 22
I did go though the whole thing but not in detail. Very interesting. Thanks for posting the adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back