Removing 2020 GTI Battery

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RBoston

I keep my ski outdoors, and as winter is coming now I want to bring the battery indoors.

Can anyone tell me how to remove it? Access is a bit tight, and I only see the one bolt, is that it?

I've currently got a CTEK rigged up to it, but even with that I'm not sure it will survive the cold and frost for a number of months.

20201015-130235.jpg

Cold weather doesn't really hurt batteries as long as they stay charged. Hot weather kills them.

Those are rubber straps that have a hook on the end, just unhook and unbolt terminals

Did you ever get your battery out. Is it in the engine compartment? I can't figure out how to get the rubber straps off.

Yep, it is quite literally two rubber straps.

It's hard to describe, but I just put my hand down below the battery (towards the stern) and you'll feel the bottom of the strap, just pull it down and out, and it'll unclip.

Once I figured it out, it took me seconds. Just be careful when you pull the battery out that the little blocks on the terminal connectors don't fall out.

Thanks Boston, that's what I thought but had to guy my big hand down there to get any torque on it. Thanks for the heads up on the nut but to late I all ready dropped one down in the bilge and didn't have my magnet tool. Not a very good design. I am tempted to just leave battery in and put a tender on it.

If you opt for a tender, which Seadoo discourages when the battery is in the ski, isolate the battery from the ski by disconnecting the battery cables. Right after you get a cable off replace each battery bolt so you don’t lose the square nuts, which are available on Amazon just in case.

If you opt for a tender, which Seadoo discourages when the battery is in the ski, isolate the battery from the ski by disconnecting the battery cables. Right after you get a cable off replace each battery bolt so you don’t lose the square nuts, which are available on Amazon just in case.
Do you which size fits the standard sea-doo battery? I lost one in the process, and there's so many to choose from on Amazon.

So we had our 2020 GTI 170 winterized last year,
they removed the battery.

When I went to install it yesterday I found it extremely difficult to get into the tray and almost impossible to reattach the straps.

under battery removal and replacement in the manual it actually just says “contact dealer”
Am I missing something here? Is there a special tool to push the rubber straps around the clip.

“Get an open end wrench, from your toolbox, about 1/2", 13mm x about 8", or whatever you grab. Put the metal end of the strap on the hook on the battery tray, I do it on the side toward the engine first. Now put the open end of the wrench through the other metal loop and push it down on the other side, reach down with your free hand and push the metal loop over the hook. Thats it not entirely foolproof but a lot easier.”

Found this on a different forum.

So we had our 2020 GTI 170 winterized last year,
they removed the battery.

When I went to install it yesterday I found it extremely difficult to get into the tray and almost impossible to reattach the straps.

under battery removal and replacement in the manual it actually just says “contact dealer”
Am I missing something here? Is there a special tool to push the rubber straps around the clip.

Coincidentally I was going to bump this thread to say the same thing, except it was the Seadoo dealer who refitted my battery and they only secured it using one of the straps!

I tried using several types of tools, but a long open-end wrench as suggested above I'll try next.

I also cannot reconnect battery straps after removing battery for winter storage. I can not for the life of me get the straps back on. I had a couple of my small engine guys come over to try with no success. The compartment is too tight to get my hand in. I tried the wrench suggestion with no result. There must be a trick or a tool to use. Why not put a bracket with bolts coming up with nuts on top. TERRIBLE DESIGN. Any further suggestions would be welcome. If not Ill be forced to make an appointment to the dealer for something that should be straight forward. Thanks All !

So I posted this question earlier.

we clipped a pair of vice grips on just right and if you can push down with your weight you can get the strap deep enough then you need to reach in and push it over the so it grabs onto the notch.
Your knuckles will bleed and it will not be easy but you can do it

So I posted this question earlier.

we clipped a pair of vice grips on just right and if you can push down with your weight you can get the strap deep enough then you need to reach in and push it over the so it grabs onto the notch.
Your knuckles will bleed and it will not be easy but you can do it
Thanks! We got it. Used a pair of medical clamps. Took 2 guys but it’s done. Thanks for the reply!

I thought the strap holding over the seadoo emergency kit in the front of the machine was hard... not looking forward to ever replacing the battery in my 2021 GTI SE 170. Not sure which will be worse...

I found the solution and got both straps done. Agreed this is a terrible design and sure that engineer is doing something else now. Took battery out for winter like many others then reapplying the straps was a nightmare. Bought an 18” hose removal tool at Lowe’s and worked excellent.
As advised above, work from the left side and hook the strap closest to the motor first.No way you can do it second. Flat part of the tool, push down on the strap, with the point under the holder, reach in along the side from the rear forward and slide the hook off the tool on to the holder. Best $25 ever spent.
7D37BAFE-8AF2-4E28-A44E-96B204E65722.jpeg

Do you guys know the type of battery installed on the GTI 170 SE ? I was going to remove it to find out but now not sure if I can put it back in after reading all the comments !

Help! I have a 2021 GTI SE 170 - seems different from what you have been discussing here. Mine is at the front left. I have removed the elastic strap and it is as firmly in there as ever. There is a metal piece over the battery but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove it. I need to remove it so I can trickle charge the batteries over the winter but my storage unit does not have power, so I will need to remove them and charge them in the garage. IMG_1474.jpg

I also have a 2021 GTI SE 170 and just did this last weekend!

You can just push/bend the metal piece towards the stern and then lift the battery out. A heads up though, the metal edge is pretty sharp. I cut the back of my hand pretty good on it.

I'm definitely not overly excited to deal with getting the strap back on in the Spring... it was hard enough to get off... :ambivalent:

I was on vacation and had to reinstall my batteries and the only thing long enough that I could find was a long BBQ fork that I cut the tines off just leaving the V part on.

Anyone notice in the front trunk there is a location for a battery? It’s behind the removable bulkhead in the bilge. The styrofoam has a battery icon in it. Would be great to put the battery there.

Pretty sure thats the location for the secondary battery, Seadoo has the install kit on their website for said battery. Looks like $350 for the complete kit.

Found a solution without ripping hands apart too much. Struggled for hours to get the battery strap latched and beat hands up bad, and still unsuccessful. Was getting ready to bring to dealer to have him reinstall.

Solution?? After placing battery but before attaching cables put the strap to port side of battery and hook it to the tray, and then lift it while it’s attached over the battery. Then connect your battery cable. Took 5 minutes to do two machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back