Removal of seat back-rests on Challenger 180

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldandgrey

Hi Folks,

I'm new to your forums and wondered if someone can help me out. During the winter, ants have managed to invade my boat and set up nests behind the backrests on my Challenger 180. I would like to know how to remove and re-fit the back rests giving me the chance to properly clean out the mess left by the ants.
My boat is licensed to carry 8 but I went on the water yesterday with several thousand which only emerged when we were underway.
It appears as though the seat back-rests are held in place by brackets with no screws or bolts to undo I am assuming they just pull or slide off?
I would be grateful of any help. Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere but I could find no reference.

without knowing the year, I could be off, but I searched for the schematics of a 2012 180 and it appears the cushions lift straight up to come off the hull. I'm not positive, but that's what it looks like to me.

doo.jpg

Many thanks JPASS, I will give it a go. The boat is a 2011 model and looks exactly like the illustration you kindly sent.

I believe they use a combination of plastic nails and hooks. See #17 in the diagram. You will likely have to pop one edge of each cushion and then unhook it. Chances of needing to replace the plastic nails once you remove the cushions is highly likely.

I believe they use a combination of plastic nails and hooks. See #17 in the diagram. You will likely have to pop one edge of each cushion and then unhook it. Chances of needing to replace the plastic nails once you remove the cushions is highly likely.

I believe the nails are the for the seat cushions and not the backrests, but it's hard to tell from the diagram. It does say there are 12 of them. Hopefully oldangrey will clarify what was there.

Problem solved. The #17 were self tapping screws accessible by compressing the underside of the seat backs to expose the heads. When the screws are removed the seat backs lift up and off the retaining clips that can be seen in the illustration.

Sydney Moochy, Just spend a few hours out on the harbour, very scary, lots of erratic boating going on, but very enjoyable way to spend Australia Day.

Sydney Moochy, Just spend a few hours out on the harbour, very scary, lots of erratic boating going on, but very enjoyable way to spend Australia Day.

Nice one, did you buy the red one that was for sale? Try keep the front bow cover on if your surrounded by bigger boats. It doesn't take much to get a wake over and into the boat

Hi Folks,

I'm new to your forums and wondered if someone can help me out. During the winter, ants have managed to invade my boat and set up nests behind the backrests on my Challenger 180. I would like to know how to remove and re-fit the back rests giving me the chance to properly clean out the mess left by the ants.
My boat is licensed to carry 8 but I went on the water yesterday with several thousand which only emerged when we were underway.
It appears as though the seat back-rests are held in place by brackets with no screws or bolts to undo I am assuming they just pull or slide off?
I would be grateful of any help. Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere but I could find no reference.

Held in place by "darts" look up the manual for removal.

be warned those things are expensive!! you can re-use them, but try to remove carefully from the fibre glass hole. pinch bar with wood protector worked ok for me.

Held in place by "darts" look up the manual for removal.

be warned those things are expensive!! you can re-use them, but try to remove carefully from the fibre glass hole. pinch bar with wood protector worked ok for me.

Pete63: That's actually not correct. The OP answered the question back on post #6, where he states the cushions were held in place with self tapping screws hidden under the cushion back.

Pete63: That's actually not correct. The OP answered the question back on post #6, where he states the cushions were held in place with self tapping screws hidden under the cushion back.

yeah, i saw that part after posting:facepalm:

i assumed all seadoo still used darts on boat seats and back rests. i suppose thats good news for some.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back