Registration Ontario

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

GingerNinjaPete

I've searched the forums but couldn't find any info...

Do I have to register the boat at Service Ontario? I registered the trailer today but she couldn't tell me about the boat. I know I have to send the licence to Ottawa to get changed. The boat didn't come with any "title" just the Licence and a receipt. I'm relatively new to Ontario and this is my first boat here so I'm a little unsure of the procedure and who's gonna come after me for the sales tax.

Can someone point me in the right direction,

Thanks

If you search the transport canda site you should find the registration pdfs that you print off and fill them out and fax or mail them to nova scotia. Ill see if i can dig em up and ill pm them to yah.

just go to a service canada store because its a federal issue. you may never pay any tax its a joke how they do it.

Yes it sure is! I think they pull them out of a hat on who to nail for taxes. I've seen guys with $300 boats with 9.9hp outboards get nailed, but then my womans uncle with 20' searay doesn't get dinged. My arguement to them when they tried to nail me was:

"Well I just bought a used riding lawnmower of kijiji, as well as a pile of toys for my kids ... should I also be paying taxes to canada revenue agency for this stuff??"

Never heard back from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It took them two years to send a notice requiring a tax payment from me. They gave me 30 days. I paid it and laid into the lady about their procedures and policies. It is a complete joke.

It took them two years to send a notice requiring a tax payment from me. They gave me 30 days. I paid it and laid into the lady about their procedures and policies. It is a complete joke.

Seriously? They can come after you for taxes 2 years later? Is there not some statute of limitations on claiming that money?
That's just dumb. Then again, I'm not surprised given it's OUR Government...

I have a friend who had one tax hit from 3 years prior and he had already sold the machine!

This occurred in BC but they (BC Gov't) gets the info from Transport Canada - BUT they have
no idea what you paid for the machine. This was stated by the Gov't employee when questioned
about the $300 tax bill sent. She said "we have no idea what you paid for it so we send you a bill
for an estimated value". They sent me one once and I ignored it. The 2nd letter said the bill was $1000.
That got my attention so I sent in the required amount $156 I think.....

Back