rectifier?or stator??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_guido85

With the ski started am gettin a reading of only 11 volts on the battery,,,12v low warning light is always on.
Now question is,,is this a bad rectifier or a bad stator??and how to tell the diffrence??how to test both??

Which ski? Generally I would first check the battery, battery cables and connections. If all is good, check the charging voltage at about 3500 rpm, it should be in the range of 14-14.5 volts, if it's not I would first replace the rectifier, assuming it's the 96GTI if it's the 99GTX I believe the rectifier is built into the MPEM, so you would need to get an external rectifier/vr.

Lou

its the gtx.
battery is new,,connections are good.
3500 rpm is giving 11v,,up to 5000,,,no change.
but still that doesnt mean that it is the rectifier...it could also be the stator.
if its a bad stator then the rectifier is not getting any input ,,,so not charging
if the stator is ok and the rectifier is the problem ,,then still it would cause low voltage and no charging..
my point is how do i figure out which is the bad part,,or maybe both.
i know the di has an external rectifier,,,i could try and fit that on and bypass the built in rectifier.

Ok here's what i did, disconnected the 3 yellow wires from the mpem and fitted an external rectifier off a honda fourtrax and fitted the green wire to ground and the red wire to the starter solenoid where it connects to the battery.cleaned all electrical connections and terminals.
disconnected the red and the black wires in thr rear electrical box,,,figured they were the internal rectifier wires i tried dissconnecting them but the ski wouldnt run,
got the ski running ,,finally no more 12v low warning and everything is ok,,checked for ac voltage at battery got a 0 reading,,so everything seems to be good,,will take it out and test it later this week.
do you guys think this rectifier will hold,,,do its job.or is it too small for the ski being of a honda fourtrax ???
and if the rectifier by any chance passes ac voltage,,will the 12v low warning light up and beep??
thanks for your time and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back