Recommend?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

houseofcash

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend some good spots to take my Seadoo out for the first time? I'm in Ajax Ontario, lake Ontario is close...but didn't really want to take it into lake Ontario for my first run.

Thanks

hi there i would head north to the trent severn waterway, the lake couchiching area is very nice and not big enough to be affected by wind. you can go either way from there and travel for days. it is fantastic. hope this helps.

i agree with ruby, pick any direction, this province has 250,000 lakes believe it or not. Good call in not headin out to lake ontario, I would head the port perry way ... lake scugog would likely be your best bet for a maiden voyage.

have fun!

Awsome!! Thanks for the advice guys!! I think lake scugog will break the cherry on my new to me Seadoo!! I've been trying to find the current water temps for this lake... But no such luck, Erie and Ontario are currently sitting at 48F. But Scugog is much shallower then these lakes and should be much warmer?

I'm thinking of taking my first run on the week of April,28th. I have a shorty wet-suit, gloves,wet shoes. Should be okay with some windbreaker pants and jacket over top?

Thanks again guys

A shorty might be cold on the legs when you splash up.....but if on a real warm/sunny day it may not matter much

Not a problem and have fun! Take it easy though for the first part ... remeber it was a really early spring and the ice went out early. Last thing you want to do is hit a floating mess of ice shack at 60mph, scoot around at a lower speed for a bit till you know you've got some clear water. Re: clothing, either way you look at it your gonna be a bit cold and wet, just rember the more clothing your wearing the harder it will be to swim back to your ski if yah get tossed off. When its cold this matters ... totally not trying to freak yah out here. I think you'll be alright with the wetsuit.

Cheers! Let us know how the maiden voyage goes.

Not a problem and have fun! Take it easy though for the first part ... remeber it was a really early spring and the ice went out early. Last thing you want to do is hit a floating mess of ice shack at 60mph, scoot around at a lower speed for a bit till you know you've got some clear water. Re: clothing, either way you look at it your gonna be a bit cold and wet, just rember the more clothing your wearing the harder it will be to swim back to your ski if yah get tossed off. When its cold this matters ... totally not trying to freak yah out here. I think you'll be alright with the wetsuit.

Cheers! Let us know how the maiden voyage goes.

Once again, thanks for the advice. My first trip won't be alone. I plan on going with a friend in this colder weather. Maybe as a test I'll fill my bath tube with cold water and just see how warm my wet suit will keep me. Lol my wife will think I'm nuts!! But atleast I will get an idea? Minus the wind of course! Really don't plan to go wild as I really don't want to get tossed. I'll wait for warmer waters for that stuff. Just want to break in my bones, last year on my first time. I rode for 3 hours and couldn't walk the next day I was soo sore!!

Once again, thanks for the advice. My first trip won't be alone. I plan on going with a friend in this colder weather. Maybe as a test I'll fill my bath tube with cold water and just see how warm my wet suit will keep me. Lol my wife will think I'm nuts!! But atleast I will get an idea? Minus the wind of course! Really don't plan to go wild as I really don't want to get tossed. I'll wait for warmer waters for that stuff. Just want to break in my bones, last year on my first time. I rode for 3 hours and couldn't walk the next day I was soo sore!!

Watch out for weeds up there dude, that scugog is brutal!!!!
Frenchmans bay in Pickering is the better route I'd say.
It's a hot spot for riders

Watch out for weeds up there dude, that scugog is brutal!!!!
Frenchmans bay in Pickering is the better route I'd say.
It's a hot spot for riders

Thanks for the advice Shayner, I took a stroll down to Frenchmen's bay last Sunday. Do you happen to know if you can ride in the bay? Or do you have to go out into lake Ontario from there? It sounds like you have ridin there a few times. Does it get busy?

Thanks
House

frenchmans bay is a no ride zone....great for sitting on your ride and catching some rays though when the time comes....but as you go through the inlet into the lake just to the left there a great place to kick around and the bonus is its deep,youll never have to worry about weeds or sand..dirt...kicking up and doing premature ware on your ski.
another great place is the bluffs....i went into toronto harbour a few times from pickering and its a all day thing but its awesome.
cherry beach is wicked but theres no launch.
frenchmans bay does not get really to busy,at best ive seen 5 skis there at one time,but if you like hitting some good waves its alot of fun.
also a really good place that the water is smooth is the launch here in whitby,no crazy waves just a good place to cruze without the worry of weeds....honestly you need at least 5 feet of water to ensure no hickups with your toy.

frenchmans bay is a no ride zone....great for sitting on your ride and catching some rays though when the time comes....but as you go through the inlet into the lake just to the left there a great place to kick around and the bonus is its deep,youll never have to worry about weeds or sand..dirt...kicking up and doing premature ware on your ski.
another great place is the bluffs....i went into toronto harbour a few times from pickering and its a all day thing but its awesome.
cherry beach is wicked but theres no launch.
frenchmans bay does not get really to busy,at best ive seen 5 skis there at one time,but if you like hitting some good waves its alot of fun.
also a really good place that the water is smooth is the launch here in whitby,no crazy waves just a good place to cruze without the worry of weeds....honestly you need at least 5 feet of water to ensure no hickups with your toy.

Yea I was a bit worried about scugog due to the weeds. Great for fishing in! But a bit*ch to get out of your machine. This is my first year owning my own machine, and was looking to take my machine out once we hit over 15 degrees. Where abouts is the launch in whitby? When I went to Frenchmens bay the launch looked narrow down the drive way. I'm new to this and backing up is a little tricky for me right now. I think I would have a time trying to turn around in that tight spot! Lol

Thanks again
House

the launch in pickering is not bad....not like marinas where you have to worry about clearences and ramps and a bunch of on lookers waiting for you to slip up....lol...plus no cost at pickering for the launch. lots of room at pickering.
whitbys launch is off of victoria just south if iroquois hockey rink...10 bucks for the launch...no biggy but it adds up through a season.

im finishing up a top end rebuild on one of my motors in my boat,so if ya ever need a spotter give a shout.

the launch in pickering is not bad....not like marinas where you have to worry about clearences and ramps and a bunch of on lookers waiting for you to slip up....lol...plus no cost at pickering for the launch. lots of room at pickering.
whitbys launch is off of victoria just south if iroquois hockey rink...10 bucks for the launch...no biggy but it adds up through a season.

im finishing up a top end rebuild on one of my motors in my boat,so if ya ever need a spotter give a shout.

Hmm we must be talking about a different ramp in Pickering? Frenchmen's Bay marina told me 10 bucks to launch, is there another one?

sounds like it....of at liverpool south to bayly....take a right at bayly and go to west shore blvd...take a left at west shore blvd and go south all the way to the last left...which is beachpoint promenade...pave turns into gravel road and ur there....no stress just an awesome spot.

sounds like it....of at liverpool south to bayly....take a right at bayly and go to west shore blvd...take a left at west shore blvd and go south all the way to the last left...which is beachpoint promenade...pave turns into gravel road and ur there....no stress just an awesome spot.

Awsome!! Thanks a lot.

Rice Lake. Launch at Harris Boat Works. Just watch for random weed patches. We cottage there and it doesn't generally get very rough.

Checked out the spot you were talking about. Looks Awsome! So good that I think I'm gonna try it out today. The water looked so calm and inviting :)

It was Awsome, I have gone several times since. Came down with a cold. But if I'm feeling better tomorrow, I'm definatly going out. Gonna be nice all weekend!

Cheers
House

Back