Rain waterlogged ski (not sunk or flipped)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Westpoint

Hi, I just inherited a 2012 GTX 155. The previous owner let it sit unattended for more than a year. He says it has very low hours (40) and cosmetically it looks in very good condition. However, the cover had a rip and the hull was full of water. This is rain (fresh) water from neglect it so I guess that the engine has no water in it. The water was deep enough to completely cover the battery (located under an access hatch at the rear of the hull).

I drained the water and let the ski completely dry out for about two weeks in the hot summer sun. Put the key on and got absolutely nothing. So, I bought a brand new fully charged battery and installed It (cleaning battery connections at the same time). Now when the key is on and start button pressed all the dash lights on the outer two (of three) dash panels light up and cycle back off again one by one. Then only the green GPS light stays on. The centre all digital display dash panel remains completely dead throughout all this process. The ski beeps once when start is pressed and than steadily continues to beep once every 15 seconds or so. Apart from that there is no response, clicks or sounds at all - it’s dead. The problem is I guess electrical but what / where ?

So, before venturing off to the “... let’s just replace everything“ dealer, what should I check and in what order? Any ideas will assist. I have a working GTI 155 if swapping parts to check will assist.

When you put the key on the post, you should immediately here the fuel pump run for a second. One beep is acknowledgment that the key is there but no dessert code or the wrong code has been sent. 2 short beeps is what you should get which is the acknowledgment that the code is good and the start button will now be active for start.

From what I understand, the LCD will remain blank until you get a valid code.

Are you sure you have the right key? Is the key in good shape? (Look at the contact plate, is it clean and bare). Is the post in good shape?

I definitely have the right key. The contacts are dry and in good shape. I get no beeps at all when the key is on and/or the start button is pressed. On my other Seadoos the digital display does come on when the start button is pressed with the key on but before any beeps.

I’m pretty sure all the mechanics are in good shape, my issue is electrical caused by the rain water inside the hull. I have checked and cleaned all the connections as best I can, brand new fully charged battery installed, so it’s probably one (or more) of the electrical components - but which one ? Are there simple tests to check / rule out faulty components. Can I swap components from my GTI 130 in order to rule in / rule out faults ?

Again, any help appreciated.

I would start with the DESS Post, you can pull it off and actually connect the leads for the reed switch. if you don't hear the pump prime, I would check fuses then the ECU.

The single beep you are hearing is most likely a communication error between the cluster and the ECU and if they don't communicate it will never start. Have you checked the fuses to make sure all the contacts are good?
It sounds like you have a bad connection.
The start up sequence is a little different for this ski. Press start button to wake up gauge, put key on, should get 2 beeps and ready to start. What year is your 130? That will determine what parts you can swap.

Hi, I just inherited a 2012 GTX 155. The previous owner let it sit unattended for more than a year. He says it has very low hours (40) and cosmetically it looks in very good condition. However, the cover had a rip and the hull was full of water. This is rain (fresh) water from neglect it so I guess that the engine has no water in it. The water was deep enough to completely cover the battery (located under an access hatch at the rear of the hull).

I drained the water and let the ski completely dry out for about two weeks in the hot summer sun. Put the key on and got absolutely nothing. So, I bought a brand new fully charged battery and installed It (cleaning battery connections at the same time). Now when the key is on and start button pressed all the dash lights on the outer two (of three) dash panels light up and cycle back off again one by one. Then only the green GPS light stays on. The centre all digital display dash panel remains completely dead throughout all this process. The ski beeps once when start is pressed and than steadily continues to beep once every 15 seconds or so. Apart from that there is no response, clicks or sounds at all - it’s dead. The problem is I guess electrical but what / where ?

So, before venturing off to the “... let’s just replace everything“ dealer, what should I check and in what order? Any ideas will assist. I have a working GTI 155 if swapping parts to check will assist.
To beep once when key placed on then every 15 secs or so if not running but key left on sounds almost normal to me. I gather the starter does not engage and crank the engine. I expect much wiring was also submerged so could be problems within wiring connectors giving multiple problems. I gather no codes show on the display, however a mechanic with the diagnostic software may be able to check for codes. May be best place to start. You could try disconnecting, inspecting and drying any connectors that may have been submerged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back