Pulling a tube with SeaDoo?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

muskokamarc

Hi Guys,

I just got a 2007 SeaDoo Wake edition (215hp) and would like to know if it's possible to attach two tubing ropes to the ski pylon and have two individual tubes (air head one in pic below). It's obviously way more fun to have two people being towed at the same time, but I'm curious if the pylon can handle it. Would one two-seater tube be better? Let's assume I'm towing two 200lbs people.

Let me know if you have any experience with this!

Thanks,

Marc

Attachments

• Airhead.jpg
    Airhead.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 19
Hummm, you want to tow two 200 lb people in individual tubes with one ski, and these individuals can't control the speed or direction of said tubes. What could go wrong? May I suggest some medical and liability insurance?

Hummm, you want to tow two 200 lb people in individual tubes with one ski, and these individuals can't control the speed or direction of said tubes. What could go wrong? May I suggest some medical and liability insurance?

No need for the sarcasm, looking for people with experience to comment. If it's not possible I won't do it...

Oh, and on what tube can anyone control the speed or direction whether on a boat or Sea Doo? ...

If I’m pulling more than a one person tube I switch to the boat, and more often than not we tube with the boat, for refreshment reasons.
Wake Pro 215

I've had two tubes behind my boat for 20+ years and not a single accident or injury... Of course the people on the tubes can't control the tubes but the driver can...

My question is with regards to the Sea-Doo itself and if the pylon is strong enough for that kind of drag. Get lost if you don't have anything to contribute other than sarcasm.

Pylon is probably strong enough, you have plenty of power, but not enough weight. The ski gets real squirrelly. Like pulling a 20ft boat with a supercharged Ford Pinto.

You would also want to check the local laws. In my state you could only pull one tube with a PWC. Some states I know if you have mirrors you can pull two tubes. Not sure If I would do it pulling two large people though, kids should be fine. I imagine that much weight would want to pull the ski around a lot on the corners. I'm sure it could be done with great care though. I bet a single person on water skis has about the same drag as two on tubes when they are getting pulled out of the water.

You would also want to check the local laws. In my state you could only pull one tube with a PWC. Some states I know if you have mirrors you can pull two tubes. Not sure If I would do it pulling two large people though, kids should be fine. I imagine that much weight would want to pull the ski around a lot on the corners. I'm sure it could be done with great care though. I bet a single person on water skis has about the same drag as two on tubes when they are getting pulled out of the water.
That's a good point. Thanks.

Hi Guys,

I just got a 2007 SeaDoo Wake edition (215hp) and would like to know if it's possible to attach two tubing ropes to the ski pylon and have two individual tubes (air head one in pic below). It's obviously way more fun to have two people being towed at the same time, but I'm curious if the pylon can handle it. Would one two-seater tube be better? Let's assume I'm towing two 200lbs people.

Let me know if you have any experience with this!

Thanks,

Marc

Not sure on that year but the 2018 states not to pull tubes via ski pylon. Attach to the back cleat. The ski pylon on 2018 is rated at 250lb person on wakeboard or ski only.
I personally would not pull two 200lb people at once, maybe just maybe kids.

Just wanted to provide an update on my experience. So I pulled two of those tubes i posted a photo of, with two seperate identical length ropes, and had no issues whatsoever. Getting to plane was only a bit of a struggle when we had two bigger people on the tubes (200lbs and 160lbs), but didn't take longer than 5-8 seconds. Then it was smooth sailing! Tubes went in sync for the most part with some bumping around, but everyone had fun. Also, I attached them to the ski pylon raised up.

Only thing I worry about is if that 5-8 seconds of getting to plane may be putting too much stress on the engine which has around 200 hours. Don't want to wear out the engine!

Not to throw a damper on things but it is illegal to tow mire than 1 person behind a 3 seater. That extra tuber adds a 4th person to the calculation. You have the driver, spotter and tuber which complies with the legal passenger amount. If something happens to the tube(s) where does that 4th person go.

This us what was explained to me while the nice officer was writing me a ticket for "overloading my vessel".

Kids still had a great time.

My idea would be that total weight of people on the ski + people you are towing should not exceed maximum weight authorized by the ski (most likely 600 pounds). I have seen tubes that can sit two kids in the same tube so I am not sure if it would be legal to have four persons total.

My idea would be that total weight of people on the ski + people you are towing should not exceed maximum weight authorized by the ski (most likely 600 pounds). I have seen tubes that can sit two kids in the same tube so I am not sure if it would be legal to have four persons total.

Well you guys got me curious so I reviewed both the DNR rules for MN and WI (where I tow and operate)

WI is a bit more restrictive:

To tow skiers, surfboards, or similar device the PWC needs to be designed and recommended by the manufacturer to carry at least three people. AND
A competent observer must be onboard and in a position to observe the person being towed OR the PWC is equipped with a wide angle rear view mirror.

There is no mention anywhere that I could find on restrictions to how many people or devices can be towed.

MN is the same as WI except that there is no mention of the 3 up rule.

2011 Wake Pro 215

Are mirrors on new skis wide angle? When I look at my mirrors on my brand new 2018, I don't seem to be able to see directly behind me so I guess these are not wide angle mirrors. Right? Actually, I am afraid to try to push on my mirrors as I think they are not adjustable on my 2018 (but they are on my 2003).

I actually saw someone towing a skier today and there was only one person on board the Sea-Doo and I told myself, is this legal? We do have a patrol on the lake but not a this precise moment.

By the way, Quebec laws require a spotter to tow.

Are mirrors on new skis wide angle? When I look at my mirrors on my brand new 2018, I don't seem to be able to see directly behind me so I guess these are not wide angle mirrors. Right? Actually, I am afraid to try to push on my mirrors as I think they are not adjustable on my 2018 (but they are on my 2003).

I actually saw someone towing a skier today and there was only one person on board the Sea-Doo and I told myself, is this legal? We do have a patrol on the lake but not a this precise moment.

By the way, Quebec laws require a spotter to tow.

I think the mirrors on the Wake Edition SeaDoos are convex because I can see almost directly behind mine. I do think Justals is correct however, that there should only be a spotter, driver and one person being towed. I'm unsure of the laws in Ontario.

some states I know you can tow with one person on the ski, if it has mirrors. In a state that allows that then I could see towing two tubers since you have 2 empty seats on the ski. essentially you need to be able to watch the people being towed, and must have space on the craft for anyone in your party.

Laws in Canada are that there must be a spot on your PWC for each person being towed, and there must be a spotter.

Performance wise I think you'll be fine. I've towed 2 adults on 2 tubes behind a 97 GTI before with 85 horsepower. it took probbaly 12 seconds to plane but handled fine even with 400 lbs on the tubes.

I didnt really care about any strain on that ski since I was selling it right after that trip.

I believe the law in Florida is that if you have two mirrors, that constitutes wide angle, and then no spotter is required, allowing me to pull two tubes or two people on one tube. I think if I have one mirror, I need a spotter and could pull one person only.

But definitely cannot have more people on the machine or in the water than you have seats on your vessel. That rule is probably consistent in every state.

But as for technically being able to pull two with the pylon, I would be cautious. I would feel better with one on the tow cleat and one on the pylon and just make sure your tubes were equal length behind you so one isn’t going under the rope and in front of the other tube. They both have to be touching each other I would think. That could be fun, kicking the other tube away from each other or trying to punch the other person off?

I believe the law in Florida is that if you have two mirrors, that constitutes wide angle, and then no spotter is required, allowing me to pull two tubes or two people on one tube. I think if I have one mirror, I need a spotter and could pull one person only.

But definitely cannot have more people on the machine or in the water than you have seats on your vessel. That rule is probably consistent in every state.

But as for technically being able to pull two with the pylon, I would be cautious. I would feel better with one on the tow cleat and one on the pylon and just make sure your tubes were equal length behind you so one isn’t going under the rope and in front of the other tube. They both have to be touching each other I would think. That could be fun, kicking the other tube away from each other or trying to punch the other person off?

I made sure to have the same length rope, and attached both to the ski pylon and it held up just fine. May consider putting one on the tow cleat next time however. They did for the most part go around in sync, but there was some fun bumping and bouncing. I definitely prefer the two single tubes to one 2 seater because of the comfort and elbows that are not hitting each other in the face...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back