Pulled my spark plugs...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderkat13

Heres what they looked like.... I changed the plugs out to eliminate a missing under load from time to time..
Pictures below, how do they look?

Attachments

• DSC00997.jpg
    DSC00997.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 99
They don't look that bad, but sometimes 2-strokes can be overly sensitive when it comes to spark plugs.

Aaron:cheers:

Ok so just got back in from 3 hrs on the lake and right at sunset the boat started missing again...
Today I replaced the water/fuel filter, the spark plugs... Ran great all afternoon till the very end and then would start to miss unload or until the boat planed... So I called it a day, loaded her up and Now im in front of the computer ready to figure this out..

Any ideas?

If was better for a while after changing the plugs, it may have been because you disturbed the plug wires, or coils. Try taking a spray bottle of water, and with the engine running spray down the ignition system and see if it starts to miss.

ok ill try that.. but the engine bay is dry as a bone.. We didn't have a drop when we pulled the plugs... Im thinking it might be time for new wires...
Do you happen to know the parts number so i can call around tomorrow ?

I'm not thinking that water is your problem, but getting the wires wet will help them arc all over the place if they are breaking down. Just makes it easier to find the problem with an ignition system.

How do you find out how many hours are on the Merc?
Im thinking about taking it in and dropping if off for a tune up..
$368 bucks doesnt sound to bad to me...

Also anyone have a lead on where to order new spark plug wires?

Its a Compression test, new plugs & wires, all new fluids, fuel injection system cleaned, spark checked, and in my eyes an overall condition report on the boats engine...
I agree 368 is a little high, but I want to be more then safe then sorry with the Merc power head (repair cost if something does fail)

Its a Compression test, new plugs & wires, all new fluids, fuel injection system cleaned, spark checked, and in my eyes an overall condition report on the boats engine...
I agree 368 is a little high, but I want to be more then safe then sorry with the Merc power head (repair cost if something does fail)

That actually sounds pretty good for that amount of work to me. If these folks are a mercury repair center they should have the proper scanner to be able to tell you the hours at the same time.

Not to sound like a but head but, What you described in the service performed you could purchase all the parts and perfom the labour yourself for probably less that half of what they charge. If you are not mechaniclly inclined or just choose not to do the work your self then that price may well be worth it. As for them scanning the machine for overall condition it is my personal oppinion that the scans are usles as prventative measures. If the machine is running your ear will tell you more than the scanner can. scanners are good for diagnosing problems after they occur. the scanner is also limited in what it can diagnos. good luck!

I really just want the compression check and all the fluids changed and for right not the boat budget has the $368 to spare and would much rather a professional touch the motor then me spending a weekend upside down in the garage cursing the boat and still not knowing the compression after the 50+ hard hrs Ive put on the boat now...
I do appreciate all the heads up advices and input but Ill be dropping the boat off this Friday and will be about 2 week turn around due to peak season in Texas.. no worries Ill just enjoy the jet ski's and a few buddies boats!

hey quick question.... Before I drop the boat off, Im going to changes my own wires, to save some cash....
I was wondering before I order I want to know I really need to change the boots on the spark plug wires or would the old boots be fine ?

Depending on cost I would change them. On the other hand you could probalbly use the old boots.

I know your mind is made up but you can get a comp tester at autozone for free with the loan a tool program. Its also very easy to use.

I would also tell the delearship hey put me on the schedule and I'll bring you the boat when you can get to it there is no need for my ski to just sit on your lot. Plus you might want to use it in that 2 week time.

Actually the more I read of the M2 manual Im going to attempt all of the services and as for the compression tester, I just bought it....
See I just needed a few more people saying suck it up and save your money lol..... now I can buy the 400lb fat sac for the ski locker.....
Thanks for the leads and recommendations... Be prepared for more post and questions

Congrats, You will feel good after the job is done. Plus youll think to your self how in the world can a delearship charge close to $ 400 for that amount of work what a rip off. If you have any question you can pm me Im only 100 + miles from you.:cheers:

edit: I'm not saying the delearships a crooks they have lots of overhead and exspenses Its just if you can do the work you save a vast amount of cash!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back