Problem with broken storage trays.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

iggz

Just purchased a 2002 SeaDoo Utopia. Everything is in great condition except when I went to look under the front seats in the bow. When I opened up this area I found both plastic storage bins to be cracked in a few places and hanging there by less screws than originally intended. I was wondering what I could do to repair this on my own or if I needed to buy new parts to put in there ($143 + $138 + shipping) for both sides. Please help as I am unsure how to continue.

You might be able to apply fiberglass mat and resin to the backsides to repair the cracks, or keep them from breaking through...drill a hole at the ends of the cracks as well to prevent them from continuing...

here are the pictures. Sorry it took a bit to get them on here.

Attachments

• IMAG10317.jpg
    IMAG10317.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0308.jpg
    IMAG0308.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0309.jpg
    IMAG0309.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0316.jpg
    IMAG0316.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 29
I guess it depends on what you plan to put in there, but I'd replace them. Where the cracks are I don't think you can fix them.

On mine we use those storage bins as coolers, we use the thermal bags that you find at Costco or similar and keep them in there...works great! So they hold a lot of weight in my boat, that's why I'd replace them, but if you're just going to keep bumpers or lighter stuff in them you might be okay.

I guess it depends on what you plan to put in there, but I'd replace them. Where the cracks are I don't think you can fix them.

On mine we use those storage bins as coolers, we use the thermal bags that you find at Costco or similar and keep them in there...works great! So they hold a lot of weight in my boat, that's why I'd replace them, but if you're just going to keep bumpers or lighter stuff in them you might be okay.

Sounds like a plan. So you wouldn't recommend duct tape and epoxy? hehe. I thought of using some of that spray adhesive as well.

do what murph said and glass/resin the back side anywhere they look weakened. Then sand/paint to match (as close as possible). cheapest option

do what murph said and glass/resin the back side anywhere they look weakened. Then sand/paint to match (as close as possible). cheapest option

Might be worth trying...being under the seat storage, cosmetics aren't really an issue and you'll be applying the fiberglass mat and resin to the backside anyway...worst case scenario...they don't hold up and you're fishing things out of the bottow of your hull through that opening!

I'd go for it...unless you've already ordered new bins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back