Looking to purchase 2002 Utopia 185

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghold

Hi Folks. I am new here and looking to purchase my first boat. I think I found the one I want but wanted some advice on weather this is a good deal or not.

Please see the ad below and let me know your thoughts on the price.

Thanks and hope to be a long term member very soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SeaDoo Jet Boat 2002 Utopia 240 HP Mercury Engine MINT CONDITION - $10600

2002 SeaDoo Utopia Jet Boat WITH 240 HP Mercury Engine! Has Bimini Top and Trailer with Spare Tire & Brakes!

NADA VALUE with all upgrades & extras this boat has, including trailer: $12,485 Nada Value as of 5/16/2018 (not including all the extras included such as Life Jackets, Ropes, Fender Bumpers, etc.)

This Boat is in absolute Mint-Showroom Condition!!! You will not find a cleaner pre-owned boat for sale!
Jet Drive, No Propellers! Safe For Kids! Safe in Shallow Waters! Safe to pull on a sandbar and beach with no worries!

ENGINE:
-Less than 50 hours on the engine!
-Mercury V6 Engine 240 HP is spotless and always well maintained.
-This engine automatically combines the oil and gas for you - you do NOT have to hand mix it.
-Fuel Capacity 40 gallons
-Oil Capacity 3 gallons
-Built-In Engine Protections: Engine Overheat, Low Oil Level, Over-Rev Protection
-May 2018 - Tune Up with New Spark Plugs

TRAILER:
-High Quality Trailer has DISC BRAKES!
-Spare Tire
-All newer tires
-Brake lights, turn signal lights all work perfectly.
-May 2018 - Installed New LED lights

SEATING and STORAGE:
-2 Captains Chairs: 1 for Driver, 1 for Passenger, and both Fully Swivel and Turn
-2 Bench Seats in front with cushioned backrests........storage underneath
-Full Bench Seating across the back........storage underneath
-Full Cushioned Sun Deck........storage underneath
-Bimini Top stores neatly away underneath the Sun Deck. Perfect Condition Bimini Top!

INTERIOR:
-Full Wrap-Around, Walk-Through Windshield
-Cockpit Lights for nighttime boating
-Swim Platform with Hide-Away Ladder off Back of Boat
-Burl Wood Look Steering Wheel and Dashboard Trim
-AM/FM Stereo with CD Player Hidden Under Lift-Up Dash Board and has Remote Control
-Siruis XM Radio with Equalizer and Remote Control
-4 Awesome Sounding Upgraded Speakers to Rock the Tunes!
-7 Cup Holders Throughout
-Spotless new snap-in carpet
-Upholstery is showroom, perfect condition
-Dashboard, plastic, vinyl showroom, perfect condition
-Fire Extinguisher
**Nothing is weathered or worn**

OTHER BOAT DETAILS:
-Protective Rubber Cover on Hull of Boat (outside of boat bottom) to protect it from scrapes and damage if you are in the shallows
-Non-skid decking
-Non-slip grab handles by every seat
-Control Steering - allows you to control steering even when idling
-Horn
-Navigational Lights
-Full Instrument Panel
-Auto Bilge Pump Switch
-Blower
-Glove Compartment
-12 Volt Jack
-6 Stainless Steel Cleats
-8 Person Boat

GARAGE KEPT:
The boat has always been garage kept! And Cleaned After Every Use!

LENGTH OF BOAT AND TRAILER:
Boat is 18 feet 3 inches long
On the trailer the total length is about 20 feet long
Fits in a standard garage no problem

ACCESSORIES:
-Life Jackets
-Ski Ropes and Other Ropes
-Hull/Fender Bumpers
-Anchor
-Tools
-(2) Boat Covers: Boat Cover in thick Canvas for travelling, and another think Nylon Boat Cover to keep in the garage
-Bimini Top (not in photos because it folds down under the Sun Deck and stores away neatly)

The Underside of the Boat (called the Keel area) has a special protective rubber coating installed on it, so if you hit something in shallow waters, or when bringing it out of the water, you won't damage the underside of the boat. $1500 installation cost.

This is a nice size and comfortable boat to fit family and friends and ski and do all water sports, yet still fits in the garage.
Remember - this boat has a MERCURY V6 240hp JetDrive Engine! Mercury are the best boat engines!

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 26
It looks good on paper. But says nothing about the pump. I would question about pump maintenance. It should be serviced every year-ish with new gear lube. If you look at it or take it for a ride (you really should take it for a ride) Stick your head under the back end. See if still has a hydrosurge grate and if its whole. If a "finger" broke off then it may have been sucked into the pump. Not saying that is a deal breaker if any damage had been address.

As for its price, it really depends on where you are at.

Good Luck!

Bought my 2004 Utopia 185 2 years ago as my first ever boat. I have the Mercury 240EFI and so far have no problems with it. I like the boat being a newbie to boating and don’t have to worry about hitting a prop on anything.

It looks good on paper. But says nothing about the pump. I would question about pump maintenance. It should be serviced every year-ish with new gear lube. If you look at it or take it for a ride (you really should take it for a ride) Stick your head under the back end. See if still has a hydrosurge grate and if its whole. If a "finger" broke off then it may have been sucked into the pump. Not saying that is a deal breaker if any damage had been address.

As for its price, it really depends on where you are at.

Good Luck!

You need to be very, very careful when assessing the book values some people claim their boats have . Whoever built the NADA value for the boat above, has done some serious double dipping on options.
For instance, on each page when you build the value of your boat there is an asterisk (*). In print that is clear as day it reads" includes the value of the trailer." Still, most sellers cannot resist the urge to add the value of one anyway. Usually they will even add the value of options like fenders to a trailer that shouldn't be there anyway.
Then they will add value for options like an impeller, or navigation lights, or a stereo, all of which are standard equipment that are already included in the retail value.
Here is a link to the NADA value of a 2002 Sea-Doo Utopia upgrading for the 240 HP.
2002 Sea-Doo/BRP Sport Boat Series UTOPIA 205(*) Standard Equipment, Boat Value, Boat Price & Craft Specs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180519-034940.png
    Screenshot_20180519-034940.png
    307.9 KB · Views: 24
You need to be very, very careful when assessing the book values some people claim their boats have . Whoever built the NADA value for the boat above, has done some serious double dipping on options.

100% agree with you.

It also depends what country the boat is in. The NADA Guide is USA and in Canada the boat would be at least $2000 more. Looking on Auto Trader there is a 2002 Utopia 185 in Ontario asking $15,995.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back