premium or hi performance

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

devlin

Changing the gear oil in a '02 utopia gear case and stator. Owners manual says to use either Merc precision or Quicksilver hi performance oil. Happen to have on hand Quicksilver premium oil who's jar says not to mix premium with hi performance.
What is the downside of mixing Hi performance or merc precision with Quicksilver Premium ?

Premium Verses high performance?

I've looked in the manual and see that it does state that you should fill the stator pump housing with Merc or Quicksilver High Performance. Without finding a tech data chart on these two oils, I can offer this opinion.
Usually in a gear type application, the oils weight is between 75 to 90. I believe the premium oil is going to have a weight in the 30's. You said you have the bottle of Premium on hand. Look at it for it's weight properties.
Also, I noticed in the manual that your oil injection system says to use the Merc or Quicksilver Premium oils, which are NMMA approved/ TWC-3 oils. This bottle you have may indeed be for your oil injection tank, which is not compatible with your gear hosing of the pump/stator.
If your not sure, either call your local dealer and ask this question or read the bottle and be sure of what your using. The wrong weight oil in your pump housing can cause a major mechanical failure.

Nope, it is Quicksilver Premium gear lube. The weight(viscosity) is not given anywhere on the label. And it states" do not mix with quicksilver hi performance or with any other gear lube". i have it on hand because i bought it at Walmart some time ago but am just getting around to changing the gear and stator oil.
A few minutes ago i called Merc customer contact number 9209295040 twice.
Got two different answers. First guy said don't mix because they are two different viscositys. Second contact said ... because premium is synthetic and hi performance is conventional oil. Both reasons are dubious i think. Second guy also thought since i was doing a drain and refil it would be ok. But i am aware that draining leaves about 5 to 10 ounces stuck to the case and gears. i was concerned that the mixing of the two might form some corrosives since the warning on the label is so definite.

Synthetic!

Sorry, I missed your reply somewhere along the line. :eek:
I don't think I'd take the chance on the premium verses the hi performance. If the manufacturer calls for the synthetic oil to be used, I'd use it. The cost of repairs to the Utopia would far outway the cost of using a brand not recommended by the distributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back