Potential New SeaDoo Challenger 180 Owner

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moreyrd

Hi All,

new to the forum, I've recently been reading through the forum to understand how people like their Challengers. I have a family of 4 with two boys (14 & 11). I've been looking at jet boats Seadoo and Yamaha and I'm trying to decide on which would be the best first boat for us. To be honest, I'm trying to convince myself that even though the Seadoo boats aren't being manufactured anymore....they are still a good purchase for our family at this time.

I was hoping to get some thoughts from anyone that is interested in providing feedback. Obviously, the purchase price vs. a Yamaha ar/sx/190/192 is lower...but is there anything else I should take into consideration? Reliability, maintenance, performance, etc...

Thanks to all who spend any time on reading this.

Moreyrd

If you are getting a boat with the 4-tec engine it has the same issues as the skis. The early ones had valve failure issues and anything with a supercharger has to have had tem rebuilt every 2 years or 100 hours I think or they will destroy themselves and the engines.

Yamaha has always made very reliable engines but I don't have personal experience with their boats.

Last edited:
If you are getting a boat with the 4-tec engine it has the same issues as the skis. The early ones had valve failure issues and anything with a supercharger has to have had tem rebuilt every 2 years or 100 hours I thing or they will destroy themselves and the engines.

Yamaha has always made very reliable engines but I don't have personal experience with their boats.

Thanks Mikidymac!

I love my SeaDoo jet boat. It’s a 2010 210 Challenger. Heading to the coast with it tomorrow for a two week vacation.

Keep in mind that, while SeaDoo doesn’t manufacture boats and more, they still manufacture the powertrain and sell it to Scarab and Chaparral for their boats. Basically, SeaDoo got out of the boat hull business.

I have the 2010 C210 as well. Twin 155’s. I have a 12 yr old & any # of foster kids from month to month. We regularly bring friends along & do lots of tubing & wake boarding. We usually do a camping trip from the boat every summer as well at a campground you can only access from the boat. I’m short we absolutely love it. It has been the best family time investment we have ever made. I live in Montana & there is not a Yamaha or scarab within 3 hours so even having a “current” manufacturer wouldn’t do me much good as I would still be doing all the maintenance myself & I can get parts way cheaper online anyway than from a dealer. There is a Sea-Doo dealer in my town & they are willing to help out as much as they can but their knowledge on anything but the engine is very limited. In my experience the 1503naturally aspirated 4tecs that are in my boat are extremely reliable. I’ve heard the older first releases of the engine had some issues like mikidymac mentioned but I think these ones are great. If I were to look at a newer boat I’d probably look at scarab first since I am familiar with the platform but would also consider giving the Yamaha a spin too. Either way, the Sea-Doo is an amazing value & very dependable with very few issues & some amazing features. It would come down to budget for me, big budget then by a newer current manufacturer but if you’re just getting into boating for your family & have a lower budget then I’d go with Sea-Doo. Either way you will need to read up on the service manuals & invest some time learning how to take care of a boat & then don’t forget all the toys & accessories that you will be buying as well. You will love the boat life as long as you have a reliable vessel that you take care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back