Possible Sea-Doo spark issue?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Pcolamaineman

Wondering if anybody has had this issue or can lend any assistance/advice.

Shortly after taking my two Sea-Doo Spark 3-up HO on their maiden voyage one of my watercraft experienced a loss in power in one of my watercraft. It would not go above 5 mph. The other spark was operating normal. Both Sparks had approximately two hours of very light wear. Just taking kids for short rides.

I put the sparks on my lift and called my salesman. I explain my issue to my salesman he mentioned that I might have sucked a plastic bag up into the jet and to check. I did and that was not the issue.

I then proceeded to load them on the trailer to bring them to the dealership and the same issue happened to the other spark watercraft. Basically the Spark will not go above 5 MPH but the RPM were functioning normal.

My salesman called me last evening and texted me pictures that I have attached below. Stating it was my issue and they were not covered under warranty. He said he submitted them to Sea Doo to see if they were covered but would be surprised if they covered.

You can see the chips in the blade and the hole in the wear ring. Rust is already starting to appear. Is this cavitation?? Is it a design flaw?? He stated there was sand in the jets, but remember I live in Florida with sandy beaches. With that being said, is the 90 HP engine not able to chew up and spit out the debris??
IMG_2635.jpgIMG_8646.jpg

Thoughts?

Hi and welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with the dealership on this one. This can happen to any ski, new or old. You may however have a point about rust on the impeller, apparently not a very good grade of stainless steel.

Lou

From the pictures it does look like you sucked something into the impellers. And based on how chewed up they are I'm guessing rocks.

Does your ramp have rocks or gravel or is it concrete?

You should have heard the growling and grinding noise I would think.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

I'm sorry to hear what happened, I'm going to learn from your experience on this one. You really have to start the Spark in 3 feet of water minimum..

I have taken my Spark out 8 weekends in a row and I have never had an issue. Knocking on wood and I hope I don't jinx myself.

Another thing I learned is that when I'm about to beach it I turn off my spark in 3 feet of water before coming in and landing shore, then I jump off in water and pull it in. Reverse when I'm launching after beaching it, I push it out to deeper water, paying attention and "hearing" if there's anything getting stuck on the impeller.

Sorry for the news

If you have to start in shallow water Just Hit the start button and let the prop turn 4-5 times and immediately hit it again to stop it-Your almost stopping it as soon as you hear it turn over! Do this couple times and you can coast out into deeper water!
NEVER gun it in shallow water--Its "Costly!!!"

Ditto- sorry for your troubles.

Here's our first time out... wife got stuck on an oyster bed, told her to shut it off quick (which she did thankfully) & I went over to pull her out. Unfortunately I couldn't see thru the water & ended up sucking some up some shells (infamous clunking noises) before I shut down. Got hers out & it's fine (with minor scrapes on the wear ring) which was enough for her to tow mine to dock.. Mine not so much- couldn't go over 4mph, higher the RPM's the slower it went & vibrated like crazy. I read the forums BEFORE buying the Sparks & picked up a couple OEM wear rings ($60 ea) at the dealer "just in case", so I wouldn't be down a week for repairs and guessing it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Just replaced it today in all of a half hour with minimal tools (GH form has a pictorial how-to which made it super easy). It has IBR so a total of 5 screws had to be removed - the impeller does have light rust on it (it's not very smooth either) & doesn't appear damaged. The wear ring didn't have any holes in it either, just a lot of deep grooves. I haven't gotten it out to try yet but am hoping that's all it was- I can't imagine the deep grooves could've caused such slow speed & vibration especially not looking as bad as yours...but fingers crossed.

I'm not even thinking about going the Stainless wear ring route or I would've definitely had to replace the impeller. In your case, since it's both (which sucks) & you've got to buy a new impeller, might as well get a better one- but I'd still stick to the stock ring.

IMG_2011.jpgIMG_2014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back