please read, need help with fuel issue?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanlowmiller

I believe I am having an issue with fuel delivery. I have a 2001 gtx rfi that had an engine rebuild at the end last summer. Before the rebuild it would accelerate well and max out around 58 mph. Since rebuild I had been breaking the engine in slowly and the highest i took it was briefly to 47 mph. Today the acceleration from idle was sluggish and the max was 39 mph. It also bogs around 10 mph but the bogging stops below 10 or above 16 mph. Could it be something as simple as bad gas? I ran through a whole tank today which I believe is 18 gal. I had gone through a full tank last month without the max speed issue but I didn't really press above 42-43. I planned to take it and have fuel pressure checked this week. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Check the compression to make sure it's not eating it self.

On an injected engine... it's hard to say what's wrong when there are problems. You need to hook it to a dealers computer to read the sensors as it's running.

taking it to shop

taking it to shop to get looked at this week, it is up at the lake so I can't check compression until Wednesday. Will update topic later this week. thanks

took it to a local seadoo shop and

said it could be the impeller and ring having too much space between them and not creating the the proper flow. He is taking it out tomorrow to evaluate. The guy is a seadoo master mechanic so I guess that will cost me extra. I dont mind paying a little extra if it gets running right quickly. Any other thoughts? Could it be the RAVE valves, I cleaned them last summer before the engine was rebuilt. The place told me then I would eventually need to replace the ring around the impeller.

Throttle position sensor

dealer hooked it up and TPS needs to be calibrated. I guess when the engine was rebuilt it did not get calibrated. Seadoo dealer said they are the only ones with the computer to do this. Cost $200 and several days until they can get to it

still no better

Got seadoo back from dealer Sunday after TPS calibrated and it runs the exact same. They supposedly ran it and said it was fine before we picked it up but now top speed is down to 25 mph. They told me to have the shop that rebuilt the engine reset the timing. Also told me it may take time to break in, has been run about 6-7 hrs since rebuild. My wife was not very happy with the dealer and called them back. Now they are crediting our $200 back to us and we are taking it back in today for them to look at. I am getting frustrated with all this, not just the money but all the lost time on the seadoo. I know I am the only person posting on this topic but maybe it will help somebody else in the future.

Sorry about your issues. This is why a lot of people get out of this hobby. They get a ski that needs some love, but they get the run around from the dealer, and they spend way more $$$ than they expected to.

Also, on this board, we almost always recommend staying away from the injected 2-strokes. When they run... they are great... but when there are issues, we can't really help since there is so much that can be wrong, and there is no easy way to pin point a fuel problem. (that's why no one is really responding to this thread)

Unless you want to get raped by the dealer, you will need to pick up the service manual, and start going thought the tests on the fuel system until you find the issue.

Personally... I would point my finger at the fuel pump. When they start to go bad, the pressure will drop, and you just don't' get the power that you should. (new pump is over $300)

And for anyone else reading this... the TPS calibration is a way for a dealer to say... "We really don't know what's wrong, so we are going to try something at your expense." Unless you have a TPS go bad, and it needs replaced, it should never need to be recalibrated.

just a quick question, honda. in reguard to the tps and the dealer. what about setting the timing? i had a dealer state that after i replaced the 951 di engine it needed the timing set, was this a way of them wrenching money out of me? i kinda think so because i didnt see a way of "setting" the timing. seems like once its set, it should be set since it is electronic and cant change. opinions?

Actually, no... they were right since you installed a new motor. Normally, you would never have to adjust or check the timing on the RFI/EFI/Di engine. But since you installed a new engine, the timing may not be right. On that engine, a dealer has to set the timing since it's all done in the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back