Please help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

addl22

Hello everyone, was interested in purchasing from my neighbor a 99 GTI and a 2000 GTX limited with the trailer for around 2000$ he says the computer on the GTX needs to be replaced but he has it already and all I have to do is do some fuel system clean ups and they should be good to go, he says they've been sitting for about 2 years, am I taking a big risk here ? please some help would be greatly appreciated. It's my first PWC and don't wanna buy something that's gonna be a problem and spend money I don't have[emoji854][emoji852]️
296.jpg

Get a good battery and a compression tester and test compression on all cylinders. Post your results here. Take a close look at the motors. Below the carbs you will see the injection oil pump. You might need a mirror to see best. Coming from that pump will be two tiny oil lines going into each intake port. Make sure those lines are not cracked or broken. A sign would be excessive oil inside the hull. If they are good that's a good sign but still plan on replacing them. Check the fuel lines. If they are grey, you will need to replace ALL of the fuel lines and get rebuild kits for the carbs. Instruction and more advice on that here on the forum. Turning the motors over for the compression check will make sure the jet pumps aren't locked up. Check the jet pump wear rings from the intake side of the pump. If you can put a dime between the impeller and wear ring you'll need a new one. Also if you can run on a hose that would be good too. Remember engine running, water on, water off engine off in that order. And do not run for more than 30 sec to 1 min both of these will have carbon seals on the drive shafts and will overheat if not in water. Let us know what you find. $2000 is a decent deal. You will spend some money on these tho.

Btw these are great skis when everything is fixed. Good reliable motors with minimal maint. Especially the GTI. The GTX will take a little more maintenance as the motor has RAVE exhaust valves that need cleaned periodically and a few more gadgets on it here and there. If you pay attention to them mechanically they will perform well.

Thank you for that information, I dropped them down to 1500 cause I saw excessive oil in one of the engines. Is that gonna be a big problem? Don't have time to do all those other checks but their was oil in the compartment
306.jpg
307.jpg

Would you think it's weird that the computer went out on the GTX ? He has the replacement already but I just thought it was kinda weird ?

Just looked up the model history. That GTX could be an RFI or a DI. Pretty important for goods advice here as the RFI is a 787 motor and the DI is a 947. Yes the computers or MPEM s go out on these fairly common. It's usually just a component of the whole unit and they can sometimes be repaired. Lots of info here on the forum. The GTI is a nice solid simple machine with its 717 carbed motor. The 787 is also a great motor although more complex especially with fuel injection. The 947 on the other hand had some issues but if treated right can be a good engine.

That's a lot of oil if that's all oil. Prob not from the injection lines most likely the oil tank or fittings leaking which happens.

Now all being said you should really get a compression test to know what you're working with. The compression test tells you many things on these older two strokes. I can go into lengths if you'd like. But basically don't buy one for any price without knowing what the compression is.

$1500 could be a great deal IF there are minor issues, leaks, needs new wear rings, cosmetic, compression is good.

$1500 could be an ok deal IF they need more like top end rebuilds.

$1500 could be an ok deal if you can do all the work yourself and they need total rebuild.

If these were on the water and running it would be a different story but as they are there are unknowns that need verified because worst case fixes can get you into a lot of money, several thousand dollars if you need to pay a shop to do the work.

How much are you willing to spend to get them running?

Well without knowing the compression and trusting that my neighbor is telling me the truth on them running I wanna purchase for 1500 and spend 1000 to get them running ....

You'll have to make that call yourself. There are too many factors that can make a huge difference in the money that's needed to get these running. Without more info I can't help you more than I have.

How can I learn how to do a compression test ? I can do that before I buy them and what should I look for in the test?

You just need a compression test tool. Harbor Freight has this one for $25. Pittsburgh Automotive 62638 Compression Test Kit 8 Pc. Looks similar to this.
308.jpg
or you may be able to rent one from Autozone. If you know a gear head they prob have on e you could borrow.

Remove both spark plugs, put the spark plug wires on the ground terminals, the orange tabs above the mag housing. Screw the tester into one of the spark plug holes, open the throttle wide open and crank the motor with the starter for a few seconds until the pressure on the gauge doesn't go up any more. Note the pressure. Repeat for the other cylinder. You will need a good battery to crank the motor.

On the 717 the target is 155 psi. I've seen em show a little higher even. You get down below 145 and performance suffers. Lower than 130 and you really need a new top end. But most important is to see the difference between th two cylinders. If there's a problem it will most likely show a large difference. But normally you shouldn't see more than a few psi difference on a fresh motor maybe up to 10 psi on a tired one but generally I don't like. To see more than 5 psi difference.

Being able to turn them over for the compression test also says the jet pumps aren't locked up and you can hear any serious noises that may be there.

No. Here's the thing with skis. They are far more susceptible to lack of or incorrect maintenance and care than they are to hours and age. Properly maintained, correct fuels used, stored properly, correct lubricants used these machines can last a very long time. Most of them die due to just lack of the most simple care. That being said. 150 hrs with subpar oil or dirty carbs or ???? Then yeah that can be an issue. Which comes back to the compression test. It will tell you a lot in a very short period of time.

Also don't forget to look and see if they still have the original grey fuel lines.

Back