Please help... New seadoo owner.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rygunner

Hi, I just recently purchased a used 2000 seadoo speedster with the merc. m2 v6... Ive took it out on the water, and unfortunately sucked several rocks up, and noticed that it has some bad bad cavitation, and not sure what causing it... The impeller appears to be in bad shape, but not sure if its bad enough to need replacing, and/or what else may need to be replaced...
Iv'e attached several pictures of underneath including the impeller and intake grate... Please let me know what you recommend replacing and what kind or where i might be able to get such parts.. Also, are these things i can replace on my own? Im a newby to this jet boat, but have done plenty of work on other such devices and can usually find my way around.
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1485.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 97
That does not look good.........:(

You absolutely will have to replace the impeller, intake grate and either get the wear housing reconditioned by a machine shop or replace it as well. If you take it to a shop I would guess you're looking at about fifteen hundred dollars in damage. If you do it your self somewhere in the neighborhood of seven to eight hundred.

If you do not have a manual sign up as a premium member for a month and download it from the manual section. The job it's self is really very straight forward, and as long as none of the bolts are too rusty will only take you an afternoon.

I put the part numbers for intake grates and impellers in this post.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=10926

Also try to clean the stator up with a file. Hopefully it will be OK as it is another four hundred dollars or so.

Let me know if you need any directions on how to replace the parts.

Aaron:cheers:

To make things go a bit smoother, soak everything with penetrating oil at least a few days before you start on the job. Spray it down every day for as long as you can and it will make life easier in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any help appreciated!

Wow, thanks for the quick reply... I will def. get a new impeller, and intake grate. Also gonna sign up for premium account and get the manuals for this.
As for the impeller what kind would you recommend? I noticed there is quite a price dif. in the Solas MC-CD-22/39 (aprox $350) vs the Mercury performance 47-883796T01 ($800+)... will i notice much difference, or would the solas be just fine? Also on the intake grate, would you recommend the 11 tine or the 6 tine that is currently on there? I would like to get the most HP out of this boat as possibly, but also want to look at the cheaper budget.
I'm gonna give a shot at repairing this myself, so any instructions on how to remove these parts would be a huge help! Also, im not sure what you mean by the wear housing, and getting it reconditioned? Is this a tough job, and how bad does the stator look? Do you think it is in ok shape to just buff up a bit??
Thanks again for your expertise...

Ouch. That looks bad!
Pull the pump off and from there you'll be able to remove the impeller (will need to purchase a splined removal tool) You can send it off to be reconditioned. You might also want to replace the wear ring (ring around the impeller) Looks like the intake grate need to be replaced - or maybe you can have a local welder look at adding the missing piece back in.
Good luck

Personally I would go with the Solas. It will give you a Much better hole shot and acceleration over the stock unit. From what I have read the Mercury High skew is very slightly better, but not worth the extra 400.00. For the intake grate go with the fixed 6 tine that I listed in the other thread, and take the factory Hydro Surge and throw it in the garbage. As you can see from your own pictures they tend to lose their tines and can ruin the pump if they end up getting sucked in. Once you get the stator off have a good look at it and decide at that time if it needs to be replaced.

The wear housing is the housing that the impeller sits in. It needs to be as smooth as possible and fairly tight to the impeller in order for the pump not to cavitate.

Download the manual from the premium section and give it a look (I paid a hundred bucks for the paper version, so the 14 dollars for a one month subscription is well worth it) and then let me know if you have any specific questions. I can write up a detailed how to if you need it.

Rygunner your Ebay link is not working.

Also there is no impeller removal tool needed for the Mercury,and unfortunately no wear ring. It is the whole housing (about 400.00)

Sounds good great advice... Im assuming when I replace all this i can do it right from behind/underneath? Starting with the stator unit and work to the impeller? Or do i have to get to it from above?

What exactly is the purpose of the stator - does it spin or just kinda dissipate the water in the right motion/direction?

Finnally again what is the thought on this impeller?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sead...006QQitemZ160297585192QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Sorry for all the questions, again this is my first jet boat and am exited to get it back up to par condition again!
Thanks.

The stator helps straighten out and smooth the flow of water as it exits the pump. It also is the rear support for the drive shaft. The entire pump comes apart from the back section by section.

Unfortunately the impeller you found, although a great deal......... is for the Rotax powered boats.

Ok... great. Well im gonna go with the solas impeller and the fixed 6 tine grate...

Do you by any chance have a part# for the wear housing? Unfortunatly up here in MT I am miles and miles from any Mercury dealer and dont know where I can go to take it to a real merc. mechanic, so im gonna give the job a shot on my own...

If its easy enough i may look into replacing the wear housing as well if its all one peace (wear ring/ housing), and if i can easily purchase that part.

Thanks again rookie101/Aaron for all your help!!

Part number for the wear housing should be 856814A2. Do some Googeling, and call around. You should be able to find one for under four hundred at most online Mercury parts suppliers.

rygunner,

I also live in MT and the only dealer I know that works on the Merc 240 set up is Gull in Missoula. Where are you located? I am have Gull replace my impeller/wear ring and grate this week. Have you done yours yet?

recently replaced wear ring:
9.jpg

I am in Miles City, and the work is getting done by Riverside Marine & Cycle (RMC) here. They do work on several types of smaller jet boats, and are familiar with this kind of set up. Should be done later this week - ill post pics when the work is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back