"Plastic" ring loose on impeller shaft

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaTeRMaNiaC407

Hey Everyone,

I have a new Speedster 2012 HO. I was cleaning up the boat after a day of use and when I went to spray some WD-40 on the impeller shaft I noticed what looked like a plastic ring freely loose on the shaft between the impeller and the front of the boat.

The impeller boot seems to still be in place but I am not sure where this would have come loose from. There were no noticable problems when driving the boat.

The boat is not even a couple of months old. Is this something to be concerned about? I could call the dealer and have them check it out but they are not exactly around the corner from me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

OK...62 views and nobody has any idea WFT I am talking about. LOL So let me provide some pictures. This boat is only 2 months old with 22 hours on it. I ride in both salt and fresh water. What is that ring? Where did it come from? Does the impeller boot look ok to everyone?
IMG_0583.JPGIMG_0588.JPGIMG_0589.JPGIMG_0591.JPG

looks like a seal came out mark, i would take it in, should be covered under warranty - maybe to keep trash out of the impeller where driveshaft goes in -- you should have acess to manuals == you have a premium mebership

Yeah...I was thinking that I was going to have to make that trek to the dealer. No 2012 manuals up yet though. Thanks Griz! I knew the pics would help. :D

that looks like the impeller shaft boot....you should take it in to get replaced because over time the salt water (assuming you use it in salt) will wash away the grease and ruin the bearings....it's easy to replace on your own if it saves you time taking it to the dealer and possibly leaving it there for a few days, just make sure pulling the pump doesn't void your warranty!!

Here is another question. Does the amount of surface rust seem normal for 22 hours and 2 months of use? I have flushed everytime I have taken the boat out, which has been every weekend since April 13th.

yup...looks normal!! Both shafts on my speedster200 have surface rust, no big deal...I just spray them down with a lithium grease whenever I take the pump housings off for inspection.

I called dealership and am taking it in tomorrow for them to "take a look at it" I really hope that they cover this under warranty and do not try and say it is normal wear and tear.

I will post back with what they say.

UPDATE
So took boat into dealer already today. Needs a new impeller boot. They were basically not going to cover under warranty because they say something foreign went through and caused the problem.

I retorted….if you are telling me that the ONLY way an impeller boot can get destroyed is by a foreign object, then I will pay. If, however, it could have come off due to a defect in materials or installation and there is no other evidence on the impeller or wear ring of anything foreign going through…then it should be covered under warranty. He agreed and said if there was no other damage that they would try and put it through and it shouldn’t be an issue.

I just heard back from the dealer 30 min after dropping the boat off and there is nothing else that was damaged so it SHOULD go through under factory warranty.

At least the dealer is pretty fast at working on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back