Piston Ring Gap 787 RFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasngo

Well slowly putting things back to in place. I needed to file the rings to fit and filed one larger than spec. The manual says .016 to .022 SAE and I have one at .023 maybe .024. I thought I would ask the crew. I can order another set of rings Im sure but more down time. So let me know you thoughts. I m sure it would run and probably be fine but thought I would ask. Bottom ring by the way.

Well for those that are interested I figured it would be fine but spent a few minutes on the phone with a buddy that does machine work and he said if it was his he would run it. I fit the other same size. After a few minutes of discussion and a comment that the hair on your head is a couple of thou it would be fine. Further in the conversation he has been talking to high end race engine guys and they are going a different direction on ring gap. It used to be large on the top ring and now they are making the bottom ring gap larger. I have not done any in depth investigation on this but something Ill look into. Mean while hopefully back on the water by this weekend.

I use WSM pistions and the rings are generally over spec on the gap. I'm used to seeing .018- .020 i've never filed a ring on a seadoo. Sometimes the manufacturer of aftermarket parts uses different materials and it may require additional clearance. As for your ring gap it's gonna run and you won't notice anything. Good Luck.

Thanks for the input. I felt pretty good about it. Once I got the jug back on and looked down in the hole you cant hardly see the top gap. So Im hoping to have things put together buy the end of the day or tomorrow. Sadly the oil tank has leaked for years and I did not secure the oil hose well and I have a good couple of hours to just get it cleaned out. I found loose hardware bouncing around and 2 ball socket ends. Ill take a pic and post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back