overheat???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

neophyte

I had my 2002 Challenger 1800 M2 Jet out this past weekend and I got a steady beep tone. It came on slowly (intermittently) but slowly became steady. I idled back to shore and shut down.

A couple of hours later I set out again. Within 5 minutes at half power the same thing happened (intermittent transitioning to steady beeping tone)

I'm guessing overheat? If so can anyone provide any pointers before I get hosed at the marina shop???

FYI. Fuel level was at 1/3 of a tank.

Thanks for your time.

Regards.

Neophyte

Constant tone or beep beep beep? Hook a hose up to your flush port and let the water run through your engine for a while (Not with engine running) I flush mine all the time especially if I've been in shallow water and possibly took in some sand through the cooling system which is feed by your impeller. My Warning light and beeper went off as well and traced it to the Fuel Water Separator having to much water in it. It's on the starboard side of the engine and It looks like a small oil filter. This needs to be emptied and/or changed periodically. Try that first. Unplug the sensor and take off the filter like you would an oil filter. Put something underneath to catch the gas.

ok. I'll do as suggested. the guy i bought the boat from said never put water through the engine unless its running. ???

More info... the beep was constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep with the odd flicker. While troubleshooting on the water I pulled the float from the engine mounted oil tank and heard the 4 beep warning. I put the cap back on and noted engine mounted tank full-main reservoir 3/4 full.

a couple of weeks ago something similar happened and I noticed my main oil tank was exactly at the half marker. I topped up the oil with some TC-W3 oil and the warning stopped immediately. I ran the boat for another 3 hours since then warning free.

I've read about oil gunk from using different types of oil. Could this be possible?

The constant beep is an over-temp situation. On the Merc engines... you can flush, without the engine running. And honestly... most home "Garden Hoses" don't have enough pressure/volume to keep the Mercury sportjet cool, since the bulk of the water will go out the feed line. (To flush out junk you've picked up)

The main oil tank doesn't have a sensor in it... so I'm not sure what happened when you topped it off... but if you suspect ANY issues... then remove the main tank, and check it out. It's just mounted with a rubber strap, so it's not too hard to get at. But, the system works with air pressure. So, when you put it back together... mask sure that the caps are on properly, and the system is sealed when you get it back together.

With all that said... it's a good idea to also check the water trap in the filter. Emptying it good... but simply replacing the filter is better. AND, if you find water in the fuel... get some Marin Stay-Bil, and put in a heavy dose. It will help pass what my be in the tank.

Thanks again gentlemen.

I have done the flush and drained the fuel filter. There was no visible water and only a little debris when i collected the fuel. My only observation is that it seemed heavier when compared to a new one out of box. I'm trying to track down the part# for the fuel filter. Unfortunately part of the sticker is torn off. I can make out the following 35-18458 the rest is gone. One shop said it could be a Q3 at the end but who knows.

Does anyone know the part# ?

On another note. I called one of the local marina's and one of the mechanics took a few minutes to talk with me. He asked how full the engine mounted oil tank was. I told him about an inch from the top. He said it should be to the cap. Could this be my problem? Part of me is starting to think that I haven't screwed the oil cap on tight enough on the main tank when i topped it up (even though I think it is snug) and air is slowly getting in the system.

When I filled the main tank I did so via one of the openings on the tank itself and they were VERY hard to open. I couldn't open the oil cap located on the aft port hull as I was afraid I was going to snap the plastic on the cap.

That's where I'm at for now. Once I get a new filter on I will put her in the water and see what happens. Should I just put it in the water and test it regardless?

Thanks again for the support guys.

a water test is always the best way. If you still suspect an over-temp... get a cheap IR temp gun (noncontact thermometer) and just check the engine. The heads should be under 140 normally, but I think the sender is set to 190.

Yes, it should. But as I recall... it's a "Beep... Beep... Beep" sound. Not a constant. But, who knows if wiring has been messed with by previous owners.

Well... I got the boat back on the water today. It ran well, no beeps, no lights for about 20 minutes at half power. I opened it up to full power and still no beeps.

Stopped the engine and went for a dip. After a short break we started up and took another rip. On this occasion the light DID come on about 6 times but intermittently (the beeping never escalated to a full tone). We continued on and had a great day.

I don't know what to think. Perhaps the problem is with the sensor? Last week when I posted the intermittent beeping became constant as the overheat warning was satisfied. Does the water temperature affect how quickly the engine will overheat? Today we were on a lake that was only 70F. Last week the lake must have been 80F.

Trying to make sense of it all but for now I am happy but still puzzled why the momentary light/beep came on. Regardless, i rinsed out the engine after the ride and I'm hoping for more success next weekend.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and feedback guys.

I would verify that the oil header tank is still full, make sure you have at least a half tank of fuel... and replace the water separator filter.

Oh... and go get an IR temp gun. It's your friend when you are looking for an over heat condition.

The one thing I hate about the seadoo/Merc boats, is that the warning system is kind of messed up, since it's a mix of systems. The oil can light on the helm should actually be a Bell icon. (general warning, and not oil) AND, the fuel warning should be separated out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back